01-23-2009, 04:19 PM #1

A Sirius Anecdote

I recently celebrated my 30th birthday this week. The wife and I had a group of friends over at our place for cocktails and munchies. SiriusXM was providing the background music through the 64bit internet stream over my computer’s surround sound system. In other words, low quality audio, but great content. Naturally, SiriusXM became a topic of one of our conversations and the company will be getting an additional subscriber simply because of my get-together.

I shared this story because many of us on this board, and others like it, spend an awful lot of time complaining, analyzing, and praying over the company’s stock. After listening to the most recent SiriusBuzz show, Charles talked about how SatRad made much of their inroads due to viral marketing.

As some of the most loyal subscribers and shareholders, as we are, let’s get this train moving. Go buy a new SiriusXM t-shirt from the online store, ask your buddies at work if they heard Howard’s show today, throw a bumper sticker on your car (EBay), give the gift of Sirius for birthdays.

A couple years from now, this company has the potential to look a lot different than it does today. The refinancing will come, double digit growth will continue, and we’ll be out of this recession.

Put a 20 multiple on 2012 earnings and I’m buying the first round at THAT SiriusBuzz meet-and-greet.

- Jason

Addict
    01-23-2009, 04:42 PM #2
    Jason...thats what im talking about...I brought that up last night on siriusbuzz telepropter...I too love sirius and always ask people ..Do you listen to sirius...no well your missing out on the best catalog of music and entertainment around and you have to check it out... Imagine if all of us listeners and investors reached out and help sign just 1 new sub we would have 40,000,000 subs...Nice to have a fellow investor thinking on the same page...Welcome and keep on passing on the good word!

Guru
    01-23-2009, 05:30 PM #3
    Good story.

i had mine on (booming loud) for new years through the directv feed. I refused to let people put CD's in because inevitably the cd runs out or has a bad string of songs on it, or I get drunk and can't figure out how to run the thing (really happened last year).

I showed people how to change the channel and I set up a favorites list on my DTV receiver that wouldn't allow any channels but dance type music.

Some were amazed that all you had to do was "change the channel" to get a new song! Imagine that.

80's, 90's, hairbands, Rap, R&B, several Pop channels, BPM, etc all night long.

Head Honcho
    01-23-2009, 07:25 PM #4
    Wow, that is 3 references to things that I said on the show last night.... looks like I am the new star of the show

I obviously agree with you, based on what I talked about last night... that being said, people shouldn't have to go out of their way, it should happen organically. The best way to market a product is to pour almost every dime you have into making it the best damn product out there and let it market itself.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

01-23-2009, 09:32 PM #5
    Good read!!!

SIRI/XM needs a new marketing image, something sexy @ cool that appeals to the younger crowds. They need to market the product like beer commercials or something.

The animated dog needs to go but, as always dept needs to be taken care of first, before money can be thrown in that direction.

I have talked to people in the past about SAT/RAD, and all I hear is, why would I spend money on radio when I get it for free. A lot of people are just ignorant about it, until they take the time to listen, then they change there mind.

Guru
    01-23-2009, 10:11 PM #6
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusBuzz View Post
    The best way to market a product is to pour almost every dime you have into making it the best damn product out there and let it market itself.
    After spending some time on twitter like you suggested, and this statement above, I understand Sirius XM's business plan much better. People who know, know what this company offers and will pay. The rest will find out and eventually pay.

Since I started researching Sirius the one comment that still stands out most is "I'm a lawyer I don't have the time to download to an ipod...sirius gives me that service"

I firmly believe that todays teens are tomorrows business men who won't have time for downloading and organizing playlists.

all I hear is, why would I spend money on radio when I get it for free. A lot of people are just ignorant about it, until they take the time to listen, then they change there mind.
    I gotta tell ya, I was streaming Sirius XM to my instinct (via orb and usirius) while sitting alone at the airport and almost teared up from joy. I may have been unphased by a delay just to have some more time to listen. This is no Fanboy reaction, the content is real.