Page 6 of 7 ... 4567
    Mentor
    07-08-2009, 06:44 PM #51
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusBuzz View Post
    I dont know what it will do to their base since new users probably wont realize the 40 hours limit... until they hit 40 hours in a month. What it seems is that people are going to have to start choosing a service and paying for it, whatever that choice may be, or going underground, or simply giving up the luxury. Since you dont think Sirius XM competes with Slackdora, is it your opinion that Sirius XM will never see any of those users?

Again, just to drive this point home...this is not "the 2nd step towards not free" because they have NEVER been free. You are one of the people that reminds us of all the "stupid ads" so, you of all people should know that these internet radio services have NEVER been free.
    I use pandora for free. What do you mean not free? Premium service was a charge, true, is this what your talking about? Or are you talking about free with royalties free?
    Last edited by relmor2003; 07-08-2009 at 06:58 PM.

Head Honcho
    07-08-2009, 08:58 PM #52
    Quote Originally Posted by relmor2003 View Post
    I use pandora for free. What do you mean not free? Premium service was a charge, true, is this what your talking about? Or are you talking about free with royalties free?
    You deal with ads so, its not "free." Their model has never been free, it has always been ad supported or a premium non ad supported version. Did you not read my previous post? I explain clearly explain the "stupid ads" that people who are so staunchly against the service (such as yourself) always remind us of.

Do you not have to deal with ads? Are you using the premium service? You use Pandora now? I thought you had nothing good to say about these products... now you are saying that you use them?
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Enthusiast
    07-08-2009, 09:24 PM #53

FM-5 in final location

For anyone that cares... been monitoring the FM-5 satellite through the different maneuvers to place it in it's final position. The last day or so have been slow, fairly subtle adjustment of just a few degrees longitude. Pretty interesting. Anyway, just noticed about 15 minutes ago that it's speed is at 0. If it really is in the final location, then they should be unfurling the reflector soon to begin testing.

check out the tracking site here: http://www.n2yo.com/?k=33

Mentor
    07-09-2009, 12:09 AM #54
    You deal with ads so, its not "free." Their model has never been free, it has always been ad supported or a premium non ad supported version. Did you not read my previous post? I explain clearly explain the "stupid ads" that people who are so staunchly against the service (such as yourself) always remind us of.

Do you not have to deal with ads? Are you using the premium service? You use Pandora now? I thought you had nothing good to say about these products... now you are saying that you use them?
    What? Its not free? I beg to differ. I pay nothing to use it, regardless of ads or not. 40 hours a month? I used it yes. I never said it wasnt cute.
    Its fine for free.

Head Honcho
    07-09-2009, 12:22 AM #55
    You pay with your time and subjecting yourself to ads... you know... the same reason people hate terrestrial radio and now pay to not hear ads on Sirius XM.

I guess you want to play semantics but, I consider "free" as getting something for nothing. In the case of Pandora and Slacker, I do not get something for nothing.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Enthusiast
    07-09-2009, 01:44 AM #56
    You pay with your time and subjecting yourself to ads... you know... the same reason people hate terrestrial radio and now pay to not hear ads on Sirius XM.

I guess you want to play semantics but, I consider "free" as getting something for nothing. In the case of Pandora and Slacker, I do not get something for nothing.
    ah.. got it. so terrestrial radio isn't free then. I think there is about 99.99999% of the population that needs to reassess what "free" means.

Head Honcho
    07-09-2009, 02:16 AM #57
    Do they? I think they totally understand, which is why they turn to Sirius XM. 20 minute commercial breaks were not uncommon on the Howard Stern show on terrestrial radio. People have had a taste of "free" and they realized it wasnt truly free. Which is why people pay to upgrade their ad supported -insert product here- all the time.

There is "free" ad supported internet access, web hosting, and web applications, all of which offer premium "ad free" options. If a premium option touts the fact that it is "ad free" it seems obvious that you are paying to remove those ads... the same ads that support the product when you dont pay. Like I said, there is ad supported or premium, nothing good in life is truly free. Its an age old saying, I didnt make it up!

My original point, in the spirit of the conversation, is that people shouldnt think that Pandora and the likes are not making money from their "free" version. People say that you cant make money from giving something away for free... which is true... which is why Pandora and Slacker support their "free" version with ads. Free is not a business model.... ad supported is.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Enthusiast
    07-09-2009, 03:04 AM #58
    I got what you are saying, but it is in my opinion very different from what Rel is saying. Pandora and Slacker is free to the listener in the sense that it does not cost any money. That is the way most people define free. Every person who has anything negative to say about SiriusXM will say they can get the same thing from Pandora "and it is free".

I mentioned to a previous boss (same company) the other day about how much I like my iphone and SiriusXM, but that it seemed to use a lot of battery. He has an iphone as well, is a principal in the company and makes a buttload of money.... Here is his response: "I like Pandora for music. Its free and does not seem to chew up the battery like SiriusXM." cheap bastard.... he'll spend more in one night on a dinner than for an entire year of superior content... WTF is he worried about "free" for?

Head Honcho
    07-09-2009, 03:14 AM #59
    I see what you are saying but, I guess I am just not one of the people in public that is duped by something being "free", just because it doesnt appear on my CC bill doesnt mean that I dont pay. There is always a catch. There used to be an online service (I cant remember off the top of my head) that offered something for free if you completed a simple survey once per week. Sure it was "free" but, I paid for it with my time. Everytime Slacker cuts to commercial, I am paying to listen to the service and my service is interupted. If I am not listening to music and instead I am hearing an ad, I am not getting free music.

Free is one of those fun things that companies get people to buy into, they make you forget why its "free" and they do an excellent job making people forget. Hell Terrestrial radio is still screaming that they are free... we all know better.

That is funny about your boss, some things never change. Some people find money and stay cheap just like some people dont have a dollar to their names as spend money (credit) like crazy. I dont understand it but, I think everyone here knows "that guy" who has a ton a money but wants to order of the dollar menu, tips like an ass, or still uses coupons.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Mentor
    07-09-2009, 08:48 AM #60

This site isnt free then. Based on your definition. Your really going to argue with me over this? Everytime I hear an ad blast over my computer, your site makes me pay for it then.
    Im sorry to break it to you, and Im sure your going to be crushed to hear this, but terrestrial radio is free. So are your local UHF and VHF channels on your TV. Air is free too, but I suppose the "cost" of clean air is planting trees and making sure we have them, so I guess according to your definition nothings free. Technically.
    Pandora is available for free, still hate to break it to you.
    Arguing with me wont change that.
    Term free used in this context, is clearly defined as "no monetary cost". Which is true, there is no monetary cost to use Pandora.
    Last edited by relmor2003; 07-09-2009 at 08:52 AM.

Page 6 of 7 ... 4567