Page 7 of 8 ... 5678
    Mentor
    01-31-2011, 07:38 PM #61

SB Trivia # 4

Who once offered-up the following ringing endorsement for Netflix:

"I have given Netflix subscriptions as presents every year for the past 3 years and have had everyone call to thank me over and over because its the gift that truly keeps on giving. Unlike a gift certificate that gets used once, Netflix is a constant reminder of just how thoughtful you were this year. I personally can’t think of anything that brings me as much entertainment for so little cash every month and neither can the people I gave it to. All of them are still happy Netflix users."

Was it:

A.) Ryan Saghir
    B.) Tyler Savery
    C.) Spencer Osborne
    D.) Julietoo
    E.) Demian Russian
    F.) Steve Garcia
    G.) Charles LaRocca
    H.) Amy Gilroy
    I.) B & C Above

Answer: http://siriusbuzz.com/forum/showthre...6907#post66907
    Last edited by Sirius Roadkill; 02-01-2011 at 11:59 AM.

Mentor
    01-31-2011, 07:48 PM #62
    Some pretty daming comments attached to this article:

I Just Found Out I've Been Subscribing To Satellite Radio For The Past Year
    By Phil Villarreal on January 31, 2011

Brian said last year a Sirius XM representative assured him his subscription wouldn't automatically renew, but he found out recently that his account did auto-renew and he owes for the past year. The company won't refund him and simply points out that its terms and conditions revealed his account would auto-renew.

He writes:

“I'm having a huge problem with Sirius XM. On January 1, 2010, I signed up for their 1 year of service for $77. I specifically told the agent on the phone that I did not want my service to renew automatically. He said no problem and that they would send an invoice. I specifically asked that if I didn't want to renew, would I have to call in. He said no, all I'd have to is not send payment and they would automatically disconnect my service.

Fast forward to January 21, 2011. I get an email saying I have a past due balance of $156. Apparently the service renewed automatically after being told it wouldn't. I called to cancel my service and told them I wasn't going to pay the prorated $21 from January 1-21. They pointed me to their terms and conditions stating it would automatically renew. I explained that I was never shown this page since I ordered over the phone. She said I was in a contract with them...I asked her to supply my signature or phone conversation to the agreed upon terms...she couldn't. They are still trying to get the $21 out of me. Buyer beware. Sirius XM will lie to you when signing up for service.”

Dustin's plight is a reminder that it pays to read the fine print, regardless of what customer service reps tell you to seal deals. It's also a good idea to get extra promises in writing.

here's the link:
    http://consumerist.com/2011/01/i-jus...past-year.html

Mentor
    01-31-2011, 07:54 PM #63
    FCC must tune out Sirius XM's plea on fees

Automotive News -- January 31, 2011 - 12:01 am ET

It is unconscionable -- though predictable -- that Sirius XM Radio wants to be free to raise its monthly subscription fee of $12.95, which was locked in for three years as part of the deal when XM Satellite Holdings Inc. was acquired by Sirius Satellite Radio Inc. in 2008. That stipulation expires July 28.

But the Federal Communications Commission must deny the request and hold Sirius XM to the bargain made when its predecessor companies were allowed to create a satellite radio monopoly.

The satellite radio gang keeps changing its tune. In the beginning, the separate companies won FCC approval for the satellite radio concept because they said they would compete with each other, guaranteeing automakers and consumers a choice of programming and service in a new medium.

Each provider bulked up with high-priced content to entice customers. When they couldn't make money competing with each other in a free market, XM and Sirius pleaded with the FCC to let them merge. Although they were the only satellite radio providers, they said there was plenty of other entertainment competition from over-the-air commercial radio, electronic music devices and other technologies.

The FCC allowed the monopoly but ruled out price increases for at least three years.

Now the monopoly says it should be able to raise prices because there is plenty of other entertainment competition from over-the-air radio, Internet music services and Web-based entertainment that is increasingly available in automobiles (SRK sidenote: this is very true, just ask Tyler Savery . . the competition is brutal, brutal I tell ya).

Enough is enough. If the current satellite radio business model is so unsustainable -- even with shared overhead and overlapping content -- that the Sirius XM monopoly wants a free hand to raise prices, perhaps the two parties should divorce and go back to competing with each other in a free market.

The FCC must do the right thing and just say no.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...#ixzz1CezEyAWV

Mentor
    01-31-2011, 08:11 PM #64
    You may have seen this before . . but it's worth watching again. Now don't be fooled, I'll grant you this guy looks a bit like a walking totem pole . . . but stick with this to the end so that you can see the totem pole stick it to Fibber.

Of course Fibber gets the last word . . . mumbling about 6 Billion shares outstanding.

CNBC can't stand that Mel rightfully snubs them . . here it is:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232/vide...747415/play/1/

Head Honcho
    01-31-2011, 08:20 PM #65
    1. I hate all the negative press surrounding people wanting to cancel and continuing to be charged. Sirius XM should do something to stop this... its been going on for far too long.

2. I agree with autonews. I also think Sirius XM is crazy if they think raising prices is a good move. Netflix streams GB's of unlimited content to my computer, tv, iPad, AND sends me DVD's for $9.99 per month. Why can't Sirius XM afford to get me radio for under 10 bucks?
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

01-31-2011, 09:38 PM #66
    I agree Charles. Customer service is really lacking. Time and time again have read posts where people have sat
    and waited on the phone over an hour to be hung up on.

BTW, have they released the terms of Stern's contract yet? Other then when he was on Piers Morgan and said he
    would be working less days, I haven't heard anything.

Julie

Head Honcho
    02-01-2011, 01:56 AM #67
    I wish they would take 20% of the marketing budget and put it into customer satisfaction. In the end, they would have more new customers.

I dont know if he will be working less days but he is working less hours. He is ending his show a lot more promptly than before.

BTW, Why are there weird line breaks in your posts? Its like you are hitting "Enter" in the middle of your sentences.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

02-01-2011, 09:35 AM #68

Wink

I was going to ask you about that, it's annoying. I have no clue why it is doing this. Makes it difficult to read when it jumps like that. What did you do Charles?

Julie

Now it didn't do it. Perhaps, just perhaps, it may have been me.
    Last edited by SiriMonkey; 02-01-2011 at 09:42 AM.

Mentor
    02-01-2011, 11:54 AM #69

SB Trivia # 5

Who once posted the following:

"Man, the best thing is to do whatever makes you sleep at night. I figured since 2008, I'd rather not see my accounts bleed day in and day out, so when the bull rallies lose steam, I can take a break.

I actually sold all my blue dog siri, longest I've held a stock in quite a while... was coming up on a year, but that number I kept throwing out, 1.08, was where I took it. I had no clue of the last earnings report at the time, had I, I would have been inclined to get out the night before... anyway, I sold everything in my IRA a little bit ago, and it's nice seeing it stay the same balance while the stuff I was trading has been taking a beating.

So, there's nothing wrong with cutting a little if you want to hold on to what you got.

Put it this way... you won't lose more on whatever you cut out - sure there's the argument that cash won't hold value, but I don't like seeing an account drop 10-20% either.

Now sure you won't gain more on what you cut out, but you won't lose more. It's normal trader psychology to play with losses and ensure profits... which means that people will cut their gains early to keep them, and let losses run wild hoping they'll again become profits.

Only you can decide what you want to do, but lets jsut say siri were to run to 0.70, which I think would kind of be a worst case scenario pull back during some market tankage, how much would you cut from your holdings to make that easier on the gut? If you do have profits, nothing wrong with taking some."

Was it:

A.) Relmor
    B.) Dr. Dave
    C.) homer985
    D.) Bill Hart
    E.) socalrunningfool
    F.) killerkaul
    G.) jon pluc

Answer Key: http://siriusbuzz.com/forum/showthre...6907#post66907
    Last edited by Sirius Roadkill; 02-02-2011 at 11:45 AM.

Mentor
    02-01-2011, 12:04 PM #70
    SOURCE: The Bedford Report

Feb 01, 2011

Radio Broadcasters Get a Break From the FCC as New Threats Appear

NEW YORK, NY--(Marketwire - February 1, 2011) - When Sirius officially hit the markets back in 2002, traditional terrestrial radio broadcasters no doubt considered the satellite radio provider as the "enemy." Satellite broadcasters had garnered substantially better results than their standard radio peers due in large part to its subscriber based service. However in recent years a new threat emerged which had begun to crunch the top lines of both satellite and conventional broadcasters: internet radio. While the FCC's latest net neutrality ruling has limited the viability of unlimited free radio over wireless internet, the rules are already drawing scrutiny.

Under the new rules, the FCC has allowed companies to charge fees for services that consume large amounts of bandwidth, which free internet radio does. This is a significant victory for subscription radio companies because it will ensure they do not cede a large portion of their market share. One area where analysts believe net neutrality will benefit the Broadcast Radio sector is in the new car market where automakers were beginning to add Wi-Fi to their new cars.

Sirius has been in talks with the FCC in recent weeks arguing that the FCC should not extend a price freeze negotiated as part of the 2008 merger that formed the company. Sirius XM says it faces a lot more competition in the vehicle market than it did two years ago. The company mentioned HD Radio and iPhone/iPod connectivity to the dash as examples. Presently the cap is $12.95 per month.

http://www.marketwire.com/press-rele...RI-1388314.htm

Page 7 of 8 ... 5678