Legend
    08-04-2010, 01:35 PM #1

GOP Fillibusters Energy Bill

Is there a single bill the Republicans havent fillibustered? Are they going for fillibuster records? Do they have a proposal to help solve our energy problems?

http://jed-lewison.dailykos.com/

Guru
    08-05-2010, 08:19 AM #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    Is there a single bill the Republicans havent fillibustered? Are they going for fillibuster records? Do they have a proposal to help solve our energy problems?

http://jed-lewison.dailykos.com/
    Speaking of energy, I wrapped up my "solar tour" on Monday. Visited 9 companies involved in the solar industry. The bottom line is that solar isn't worth it unless the government gets involved. Basically, for any electricity you put into the grid, you need to get paid at a rate greater than parity to make the investment.

Now Lloyd, I know you typically discredit real folks working in a real world; instead, accepting the talking points of the democratic party, but the people I met with ARE IN THE INDUSTRY, and they're saying it needs to be subsidized. I'm not sure the answer is solar, at least right now. Hopefully, we Americans can figure out how to get cost out of it .

Legend
    08-05-2010, 10:43 PM #3
    I think you might be forgetting one fact. The govt has subsidized oil, gas, and coal industries for many years. Its time to switch to cleaner fuels. i have no problem subsidizing solar, wind, biofuels etc. I know many real people in the solar industry. As a matter of fact i have taken classes in the subject and have gone to conventions and been on solar tours. This has nothing to do with Democratic talking points and much more to do with my perssonal experience and beliefs.

You have to separate solar hot water, photovoltaics, and passive solar. Passive solar and solar hot water work financially TODAY. Photovoltaics are a longer proposition.
    Last edited by Havakasha; 08-06-2010 at 12:36 AM.

Legend
    08-05-2010, 11:08 PM #4

Guru
    08-06-2010, 09:15 AM #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    I think you might be forgetting one fact. The govt has subsidized oil, gas, and coal industries for many years. Its time to switch to cleaner fuels. i have no problem subsidizing solar, wind, biofuels etc. I know many real people in the solar industry. As a matter of fact i have taken classes in the subject and have gone to conventions and been on solar tours. This has nothing to do with Democratic talking points and much more to do with my perssonal experience and beliefs.

You have to separate solar hot water, photovoltaics, and passive solar. Passive solar and solar hot water work financially TODAY. Photovoltaics are a longer proposition.
    You missed the point Lloyd. It's not viable longterm. Should the government forever subsidize PV? How is that going to work? By taxing viable and profitable oil companies? That's nothing more than Robin Hood $hit.

Legend
    08-06-2010, 11:19 AM #6
    What do you mean that PV is "not viable long term". Please explain because i disagree completely.

Why arent you acknowledging the fact that govt has subsidized oil, gas, coal etc. for all these many years. You are being completely hypocritical if you dont. The reason for the lower price of those fuel sources is directly related to Govt support over many years. Never seemed to bother you for some reason, but get govt involved in something different and you squawk. Quite telling.

Govt will not be subsidizing PV "forever". Thats really an insincere comment.
    Private investment is POURING into the alternative energy field (I will get some of the figures for you if you really need to be informed of some of the facts.) I thought that you valued how loudly private investment weighs in.
    At some point in the next 10 to 20 years it will be cost effective. Wind already is in many situations and thats why companies like GE are investing in it.

P.S. i weighed in because you made a blanket statement about the solar field when its actually a very diverse industry and consists of much more than just PV.
    Last edited by Havakasha; 08-06-2010 at 11:27 AM.