Page 1 of 4 123 ...
    Guru
    05-05-2010, 08:32 AM #1

Domino's

The first domino = Greece. What happens when a nation cannot repay its debt? Civil unrest. What happens when the government becomes too big then has to cut, cut, cut to become stable and pay its debt? Civil unrest. Riots. Kaos. Learn from this folks. It's coming here soon enough courtesy of Obama. Keep running up debt Obama. It worked for Roosevelt; it'll surely work now. Word of advice; arm yourself. The looting masses will gladly pass you by as there will be plenty of easier targets.

And here Havakasha is talking about gasoline.

Legend
    05-05-2010, 09:18 AM #2
    So i can assume you were worried about riots in the US when Bush ran up huge debts?

Most agree that without the bailout and stimulus package to counter what happened under Bush's watch we would be at something like 25% unemployment. That my friend would have caused riots and chaos (koas?). I was under the impression that things were presently improving in our economy.

And here S&L is talking about arming onself.

Guru
    05-05-2010, 09:37 AM #3
    [QUOTE=Havakasha;61773]So i can assume you were worried about riots in the US when Bush ran up huge debts?
    QUOTE]

Yes, I was.

There is no basis for your claim of 25% unemployment.

We are watching it happen now. Governments have built themselves up too much that it's gotten to the point people like you and I can't pay enough tax to stop the inevitable.

In the US, it's going to start with cities, then counties, then states......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapter...ed_States_Code

Almost every governmental body is in the red (especially here in MI).

Legend
    05-05-2010, 10:20 AM #4
    I beg to differ. Look it up. Even Hank Paulson the Secretary of the Treasury under Bush/Cheney has used that 25% figure.

first fact. A large part of the deficit into the future is from the Bush administration.
    2nd fact. There is a difference between creating a deficit from a surplus which Bush did
    and using stimulus (which adds to the deficit) in order to help us get out of the 2nd worst recession in this country. Even Martin Feldstein the Conservative Republican economist argued that we needed large stimulus to help us out of the recession. He disagreed with the Obama formula for stimulus but not with the fact that we needed stimulus.
    No one is arguing that we dont have to deal with our large deficits once the economy is more stable and experiencing healthy growth, but cutting deficits in the middle of a recession is known to cause a depression.
    Yes, there are enormous problems in this country and the world now, but they didnt occur over the last year but developed over many years and wont be fixed for many years (some may never be solved because of the dysfunction of our political system) as well. Lets not be ignorant and try to act like all our problems are the fault of Obama. That is way more than absurd.

P.S. Dick Cheney said "deficits dont matter". i am curious to hear you address a politician whose views you probably share a lot in common with.

Mentor
    Joined: Jul 2009 Location: Outer Banks of North Carolina Posts: 1,511
    05-05-2010, 11:27 AM #5
    It's a real stretch to put Cheney and SL together in the same sentence.

Deficits have ALWAYS been a huge problem. Personally, I think Ronald Regan was a horrible leader. He crancked up the deficit to incredible numbers while he was cutting taxes and helping to create the New Republican Party.

We do need to fix this problem, that is for sure. If Americans want a strong National Defense, then we need to raise taxes. If we want our senior citizens to be cared for, we need to raise taxes. It's a very simple solution. Obama, Bush, Regan.....they are all the same. They cut taxes and raise spending. None of them would make a successful business operator.

Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    I beg to differ. Look it up. Even Hank Paulson the Secretary of the Treasury under Bush/Cheney has used that 25% figure.

first fact. A large part of the deficit into the future is from the Bush administration.
    2nd fact. There is a difference between creating a deficit from a surplus which Bush did
    and using stimulus (which adds to the deficit) in order to help us get out of the 2nd worst recession in this country. Even Martin Feldstein the Conservative Republican economist argued that we needed large stimulus to help us out of the recession. He disagreed with the Obama formula for stimulus but not with the fact that we needed stimulus.
    No one is arguing that we dont have to deal with our large deficits once the economy is more stable and experiencing healthy growth, but cutting deficits in the middle of a recession is known to cause a depression.
    Yes, there are enormous problems in this country and the world now, but they didnt occur over the last year but developed over many years and wont be fixed for many years (some may never be solved because of the dysfunction of our political system) as well. Lets not be ignorant and try to act like all our problems are the fault of Obama. That is way more than absurd.

P.S. Dick Cheney said "deficits dont matter". i am curious to hear you address a politician whose views you probably share a lot in common with.

Guru
    05-05-2010, 12:15 PM #6
    [QUOTE=candleman;61777]It's a real stretch to put Cheney and SL together in the same sentence.

QUOTE]

Thank you Candleman. Havakasha appears to have a hard on for the Republican party, and somehow linked me with them. As I have said before, the Republican party has alienated me, but I do prefer their fiscal idealogy over that of the democratic party. I also prefer their vision of the role of government.

This discussion was meant to be forward looking as history is history. All we have is tomorrow, and more Federal borrowing from China. Borrowing that we may or may not be able to pay back. But hey, let's talk about Bush. People are dying in Greece, but Bush is a better subject.

On the 25%, stimulus happened. You will never know the result of it not happening. See my point?

Legend
    05-05-2010, 03:30 PM #7
    Glad to hear that S&L is more than a stretch away from Cheney.

Legend
    05-05-2010, 03:45 PM #8
    Well sorry S&L if i have you pegged wrongly. It just seemed like a lot of your comments including ones about the immigration bill and especially the comments about Obama come straight from the Republican playbook.

Greece is important but so are many other things.
    My point again was simply that you needed stimulus to grow us out of a deep hole.
    You have to sometimes spend money in the present to achieve savings in the long term. The CBO (non-partisan congressional budget office)for instance says the health care bill that just passed will save us trillion s of dollars over 20 years.
    Taxing gasoline now and investing in alternative energy now has the potential to save us money years from now. Sometimes you have to invest and spend money. It cant always be tax cuts, tax cuts, tax cuts. Way too simplistic and really not sustainable for the long term. Kind of like "drill baby drill".

Guru
    05-05-2010, 04:03 PM #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    Well sorry S&L if i have you pegged wrongly. It just seemed like a lot of your comments including ones about the immigration bill and especially the comments about Obama come straight from the Republican playbook.

Greece is important but so are many other things.
    My point again was simply that you needed stimulus to grow us out of a deep hole.
    You have to sometimes spend money in the present to achieve savings in the long term. The CBO (non-partisan congressional budget office)for instance says the health care bill that just passed will save us trillion s of dollars over 20 years.
    Taxing gasoline now and investing in alternative energy now has the potential to save us money years from now. Sometimes you have to invest and spend money. It cant always be tax cuts, tax cuts, tax cuts. Way too simplistic and really not sustainable for the long term. Kind of like "drill baby drill".
    Steve Forbes on Fox Business News "the government cannot create wealth, if it did, there still would be a Soviet Union", "Capitalism will survive this administration"........ He was also against the VAT asking what it had done for France in terms of innovation. He favors TAX CUTS for CORPORATIONS as they enable innovation. Being employed by corporations for all of my professional career, I can say this first hand, when there is money around, there is more R&D, more Capex, more training, more employment..... The real stuff that stimulates the economy. The anticorporation crowd may not know this.

I reference Obama because he's at the wheel and has three options - fix it, make it worse or do nothing. The economy is suffciently stimulated. No need for more debt. Rein it in, cut some taxes. Become smaller, start cutting some costs. Let us take it from here (oh, that's right, we can't think for ourselves; we need government to tell us what to do (like buy health insurance lol)).

Legend
    05-05-2010, 04:57 PM #10
    So i quess you oppose social security, medicare and medicaid? LOL.

"Capitalism will survive this administration" He is a fool for saying such hyperbolic NONSENSE. We have never had a completely unfettered capitalistic system. If WE LEARNED ANYTHING OUT OF THIS PRESENT FINANCIAL MESS IT IS THAT LACK OF GOVT REGULATION LEADS TO DISASTER. .

Stop making Govt out to be all evil. We need a balance of Govt and private enterprise.

Everytime you open your mouth you somehow spout another Republican talking points so i dont understand how you distanced yourself from the Republican Party.

Page 1 of 4 123 ...