Page 1 of 4 123 ...
    01-28-2009, 04:44 PM #1

will sirius make money on uSirius Starplayr app sales?

new poster here...been a viewer for a long time. have 2 subs...and a shareholder.

question is...will sirius get a cut of the money generated by sales of uSirius Starplayr? NiceMac is using ALL of Sirius' content to sell a product and generate revenues. do you think Sirius was smart enough to negotiate a cut of these app sales?

Head Honcho
    01-28-2009, 05:26 PM #2
    No, I don't think they will get a dime and I sure hope they don't.

Sirius XM does not bring anything to the table on this app. The application requires a subscription to Sirius or XM.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

01-28-2009, 05:33 PM #3
    thanks for the reply. i realize that sirius didnt contribute to creating this app in any way...and i realize that a sub is required to use the app. but this app does rely on content (music, data, logos, etc..) from sirius. i guess my point is that this app would not be possible without sirius' content. but sirius is probably just happy to keep/gain the subs required to use this app.

Head Honcho
    01-28-2009, 05:38 PM #4
    Does Sony have to pay cable companies since they provide the content necessary for a television to work?

It couldn't make me happier that Sirius XM will not generate a dime from the sales of the application itself. These guys deserve it and Sirius had their chance.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

01-28-2009, 06:29 PM #5
    jb,

In addition to potentially gaining some subs from iphone owners, keep in mind that SIRI recently announced that they will be charging $2.99 for SiriXM internet access. This means that there is also a potential new revenune stream from existing subscribers who want to use the uSirius app and will need to pay for the internet access to do so.

Mentor
    01-28-2009, 09:56 PM #6
    I think that is the key right there Dixon. The price increase for internet streaming coincides perfectly with the release of the iphone app. XM and Sirius users could stream for free before. Now if they want to stream, they will have to lock in their subs for a longer period or pay the $2.99 a month.

I have locked in mine with a lifetime XM sub with best of Sirius. And I love the iphone app! Cant wait for it to get out of Beta.

Mentor
    01-29-2009, 01:06 AM #7
    Charles

Left a couple of comments on your Iphone app article. Would love to beg you for an invite...but really need you give me an Iphone...I will buy my own app...

Newman

totally agree. I dont think that this is an accident. The fee for internet feed and the Iphone app about a week apart. Sounds like a marketing ploy to me. Initial response should be huge. good for cash flow. Locking in subs with new contract.

Guru
    01-29-2009, 08:47 AM #8
    the iphone app extends the product penetration substantially and creates an avenue not previously available to a popular brand. The increase was exactly timed for this IMO.

Sirius XM rules!

Mentor
    01-29-2009, 01:10 PM #9
    I was thinking about it, and I have come to the conclusion that perhaps it was Sirius XM keeping the application from coming out. Increased internet streaming = increase costs to the company because of IRAA fees. I think they finally caved and let the application come out and decided to raise their prices because of it. Sirius announces their rate increase and litterally DAYS later, the app is advertising that it will be going public soon? It had to be coordinated in some little way.

Guru
    01-29-2009, 02:08 PM #10
    Newman, dont you see SIRIXM should not make any money on this, they are a charity arn't they. They should just give the internet away for free not collect a dime on the product/sevice and just ask for donations to pay for everything.

I am sorry, but to read some of the pissing and moaning from some people about the first increase in 6 YEARS. I just thought I would show how stupid they sound.

Page 1 of 4 123 ...