Page 3 of 15 1234513 ...
    Mentor
    11-09-2008, 03:24 PM #21
    Quote Originally Posted by jmm232 View Post
    Demain,

I have to somewhat disagree with you. People do not always go where the best content exists.
    It doesn't hurt to have better content that appeals to more people though.....does it?

Enthusiast
    11-09-2008, 04:17 PM #22
    Unfortunately, SIRI might have to focus on the masses right now. When the cash is flowing, then they can revisit the less "popular" programming.

The layoffs and channel removals might cause say 20,000 people to cancel.

But if the money saved can be used in advertising to get 40,000 new subs, that might be worth it. Then when the company is well in the black, niche programming becomes worth it just to get every last person they can.
    Last edited by spanyo; 11-09-2008 at 04:23 PM.

Mentor
    11-09-2008, 04:31 PM #23
    Quote Originally Posted by spanyo View Post
    Unfortunately, SIRI might have to focus on the masses right now. When the cash is flowing, then they can revisit the less "popular" programming.
    You understand that the masses are made up of lots of different kinds of people and interests, right? There is no way for Sirius management to really know for certain what channels are more "popular" from just their internet streaming platform tracking software and the same "market research" that destroyed terrestrial radio. Beyond Jazz is my favorite channel and I never listen to it online - because the XM online compression sounds crummy. There is plenty of bandwidth to represent every genre and style without insulting and alienating them.

It's more than this though. Sirius is losing it's STREET CRED by getting rid of Beyond Jazz and the Punk channel. Never underestimate how important that street cred is in grassroots marketing. These people are the wrong people to piss off.......

Remember that same philosophy of trying to appeal to the masses is what destroyed terrestrial radio and popular music...
    Last edited by Demian; 11-09-2008 at 04:50 PM.

Enthusiast
    11-09-2008, 04:57 PM #24
    Demian, I hear what you are saying... I would imagine that Sirius must have some way of making an educated guess about what is more popular.

Have you had a chance to listen to Sirius' jazz offerings? One of them could be replacing Beyond Jazz. I know many seem to prefer the XM music offerings, but we don't know for sure what could arise. Just because the name, programmer, and channel number change doesn't mean the music will.

As far as terrestrial radio goes, I think greed and laziness had a big hand in killing it too.

Anyway, until the chips fall, there is no way to know where they will end up.

Street cred won't be worth much to me if the shareholders get wiped out.

Banned
    11-09-2008, 05:09 PM #25
    Demain,

I admire youre passion. I am not disagreeing with you. You have the following Jazz stations right now
    Sirius: Jazz Cafe
    Sirius: Pure Jazz
    XM: Real Jazz
    XM: Watercolors
    XM: Beyond Jazz

To be honest with you, it looks like the overlap is more with Classic and Contemporary Jazz and not Modern Jazz.
    I would expect Real Jazz and Pure Jazz to merge
    I would expect Watercolors and Jazz Cafe to merge.
    It appears to me that Beyond Jazz has no counterpart, which is a shame.

That is simply what I was getting at. Original content should remain. It is the overlap that needs to go.

Mentor
    11-09-2008, 05:19 PM #26
    My mom has had some email correspondence with XM'S POTUS program director and host Scott Walterman - who was just fired, along with the rest of the POTUS staff.

Here is the letter my mom wrote to Scott Walterman and his email response back to her.......

Subject: Leaving Potus 08??? No!!!!!
    Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 21:42:

Dear Mr. Walterman,

My son, who lives in California, just called me this evening with Bad News. He told me that you are leaving XM radio, that the entire Potus ‘08 staff is being let go! I cannot fathom this. I have been listening to you and your colleagues since my son told me about Potus ‘08 several months ago. I have thoroughly enjoyed your unfiltered and insightful political news. Actually, I have become a Potus ’08 addict! I commute about 2 hours a day to my job as a psychiatric nurse. You have been my constant companion and have made the drive so interesting that sometimes when I arrive home after a 10 hour + day, I still sit in my car in the driveway to hear the end of an interesting segment. I credit you and your cool radio station with arming me with credible facts, fodder for intelligent conversations with co-workers and friends throughout this election cycle. Nowhere else can I find this accurate reporting without the annoyance of advertisements. I feel very sad, actually depressed to think that you and my other Potus ‘08 friends will not be riding to work with me in the mornings. Where will I get my reliable information? I am MAD about this. I plan to contact your XM Customer Service to complain bitterly. Is there anything else my son and I can do to keep this significant loss of responsible journalism from fading away at such an important time? Please advise and please accept my gratitude and thanks for amazing election season reporting in this, the most extraordinary election season of my lifetime.

Thank you so much for your contribution to all of us, listeners and fans of Potus ’08,

Patricia

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Saturday, November 08, 2008 6:13 AM
    Subject: RE: Leaving Potus 08??? No!!!!!!!!

Patricia,

Thank you so much. First, let me say that there is no turning the new management around and we are not asking for people to do so. I don't understand their decision, but it is their decision.

Secondly, and much more importantly - thank you so much for your kind words and for being along for a great ride this year. I've loved being on the air at XM and am more proud of having been able to design and bring to life POTUS than anything else in my career.

I did it for you and the other listeners - under the theory that you are smart and want something smart. It's that simple. And your email makes my day - it's a validation that I was right and all the 20 hour days and all the fights with the old managment to keep the vision pure and all the other bad things just melt away.

It was a good run - we are all happy - please be well.

scott

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So the idiots at Sirius management are gutting my moms favorite channel and axing my favorite channel, Beyond Jazz. What a bunch of idiots. I lose all my money in the stock and then they take away me and my moms favorite programming! I sent an Inno to friend of mine (he is in his 50's) as a gift and he sent it back to me when they cancelled the punk channel. He said it was the only channel he really wanted it for. It was also the only channel that played SKA music and modern electric surf music...

My mom tells me she wants to cancel her XM subscription...

Why is Sirius management doing this to me, my mom, and my friend?

Words cannot describe how angry and disgusted I am with Sirius management right now...........
    Last edited by Demian; 11-09-2008 at 05:29 PM.

Enthusiast
    11-09-2008, 05:36 PM #27
    Potus will remain. If it begins to stink your mother should cancel. But I hope she will at least give the new crew a chance. Change is often difficult, but not always bad.

Your mother may also enjoy one or more new channels:

119 Doctor Radio
    134 NPR Now
    135 World Radio Network
    Last edited by spanyo; 11-09-2008 at 05:44 PM.

Mentor
    11-09-2008, 06:59 PM #28
    Quote Originally Posted by spanyo View Post
    Potus will remain. If it begins to stink your mother should cancel. But I hope she will at least give the new crew a chance. Change is often difficult, but not always bad.

Your mother may also enjoy one or more new channels:

119 Doctor Radio
    134 NPR Now
    135 World Radio Network
    Potus isn't going to have a new crew, it's just going to be rebroadcasts of podcasts, c-span, and other news feeds...

The last thing my mom wants to listen to on her way to work as a nurse is Doctor radio.

She can get her local NPR station on regular radio for free.

World Radio network? She doesn't speak or understand any languages other than english...

Enthusiast
    11-09-2008, 07:14 PM #29
    Just trying... I didn't bother to actually see what World Radio network was...oops.

Is that definite about Potus? I would imagine that now the election is over, the programming wouldn't be quite as compelling anymore. It's a little like listening to a baseball talk show after the world series is over. Yes politics continue year round, but even CNN, MSNBC, and Fox are going to have lower ratings now. There are political junkies that would be depressed even if Potus stayed unchanged.

Well lets hope that the changes affect the bottom line and stock price enough to make your subs seem like pocket change. (sigh)

I hope the future will bring you and your mom some compelling listening. But vote your displeasure how you see fit.

Mentor
    11-09-2008, 08:48 PM #30
    Thanks Spanyo,

I know you are just trying to help and think positive...

It has been one thing for me to lose all my money in this stock, but now it is something different to have my mom's, my friend's, and my favorite programming being taken away - with no replacement!

I am having a really hard time defending Sirius management ....

Page 3 of 15 1234513 ...