10-31-2008, 07:43 PM #1

Hooked up used unit, already getting service (questions!?!)

Ok, bought a SIR-PNR2 Under the dash unit made to go with my Pioneer deck in my Ford Ranger about 3 years ago, yet never got around to installing. (Bought as used item from Reseller on Ebay)

Got a new Pioneer deck (which also works with this unit), and had Sirius unit installed at same time.

Minute I fired it up, was expecting to get channel 184, and info to call sirius with Unit number and credit card to subscribe and get radio activated. Instead, I am getting full service, with all the channels (No XM stations).

Should I even risk calling them to register it under my name? (In fear that they disable the service, and make me start paying) I ask, because it would be nice to get the Sirius internet channels available when on my PC inside the house.

Could the previous owner have bought a lifetime package for the radio itself?

Thanks ahead of time for any advice or comments.

Glad to finally be a listener, and yet another busy forum to participate in.

Head Honcho
    10-31-2008, 09:27 PM #2
    It could be one of two things...

1. The unit hasn't updated yet, and when it does it will see that the subscription is no longer in service .
    2. You wound up with a free lifetime subscription (less likely)

Please let us know either way... I have my fingers crossed for you on the free lifetime sub
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

10-31-2008, 11:50 PM #3
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusBuzz View Post
    It could be one of two things...

1. The unit hasn't updated yet, and when it does it will see that the subscription is no longer in service .
    2. You wound up with a free lifetime subscription (less likely)

Please let us know either way... I have my fingers crossed for you on the free lifetime sub
    Well, it went through almost a 2-3 minute update when I fired it up (said so on the screen), then all the music worked. (It said on screen on Stereo unit that it was "updating unit")

Head Honcho
    11-01-2008, 01:25 AM #4
    I should have clarified... I don't literally mean a channel or guide update. From what I understand, users have noticed that Sirius seemingly tests the validity of a subscription at some point during the day and if your radio is not powered on it may not get this update. It seems strange to me but I have seen a bunch of reports of radios working for weeks after they have been canceled only to not deactivate for weeks.

So, make sure you come back in a few weeks and let us know.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Enthusiast
    11-01-2008, 10:53 AM #5
    I gave a friend of mine my old Sirius One. The Sirius One never had the chance to get the deactivation signal since I hooked up my Starmate 4 before calling Sirius. It was disconnnected for about a year before I gave it to my friend.

I figured it would work for a couple of weeks and he, of course, he would be hooked on Sirius at that point. Now nine months later it is still working. On the positive side, he is hooked and has also become a Sirius shareholder, and will, I am sure, become a subscriber when Sirius finally shuts him off or the radio dies. I joking tell him he's stealing from me (and himself) and I am going to turn him in