View Poll Results: What should we do with extremely-off-topic comments under the main page articles?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Remove them.

8 53.33%
  • Leave them.

4 26.67%
  • Who cares, I have no problem ignoring idiots all while still following the relevant comments.

3 20.00%
Page 2 of 2 12
    Head Honcho
    10-22-2008, 10:19 PM #11
    I don't think any spam is actually getting through... am I wrong? The issue is the stuff that is posted is off topic. Its not fly by night posters... some of the people are "regulars", I just think the point of the comment section is being missed and that the forum section is being wasted.

I want figure out a way to convey this message and point people to the light that is these forums. People would certainly get a much better response to some of their questions/points if they were made in a more focused manner here on the forums.

Like I said, I don't want to shove anything down anyone's throats... I want them to want to do it.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

10-23-2008, 05:28 AM #12
    we need a live chat room

Mentor
    10-23-2008, 05:54 AM #13
    I would agree with dnay on the live chat room sentiment, but the problem with the live chat room is the fact that any conversation there is completely lost to anyone who is not there.

I personally think that all articles should have a link to the forums in them. COMPLETELY off topic comments should be deleted. If I am reading an article on financing, I do not want to here "But they paid stern 500 million!" unless it is also linked to financing with other facts or numbers or opinions.

I don't like the log-in to comment idea. Several times I will read articles on other sites that I would like to comment on, but I have to register. So instead of commenting, I'll just jump over to Siriusbuzz, make a post on the forums, and leave it at that.

10-23-2008, 06:07 AM #14
    THats what the forums are for Newman. If people are on and they are bored they can chat live. It would get rid of alot of the offtopic talk on the blog page. It would give Siriusbuzz a step above all the other Sirius blog sites.

10-23-2008, 10:32 AM #15
    I think off topic comments, and I have been guilty of posting a few in my short time here, should be removed. I don't think it has been made clear to newcomers to come here to the forums to post thoughts for discussion. I am only now realizing its benefit because you can have a more focused discussion about related, but off topic items.

10-23-2008, 10:37 AM #16
    Gimme a break. Brandon writes an article where he is practically doing a "jig" he is so happy for a 1 to 50 reverse split....and YOU want to stop people from VENTING in the comments section?????

Excuse me, but arguing against the company and the RS and the WHOLE damn mess we are in is COMPLETELY VALID.

People are fed up and mad and have a right to vent. Be it in the comments section or the forum.

I for one think ALL comments relating to Brandon's last article are valid, because they ALL are related.

People are pissed. Let them be. I for one think theres been some GREAT debates and questions raised in those comments that not only relate to the articles themselves, but to the entire dire situation we find ourselves now.

I've had NO problem scrolling past a few pointless comments.

Plus the questions raised in the comments section often spawn GREAT forum topics.

Let this flow continue. We've got ENOUGH silence from Mel our CEO right now....don't stop communication at SiriusBuzz too.

Head Honcho
    10-23-2008, 10:50 AM #17
    Quote Originally Posted by frigginsirius View Post
    Gimme a break. Brandon writes an article where he is practically doing a "jig" he is so happy for a 1 to 50 reverse split....and YOU want to stop people from VENTING in the comments section?????
    We have no issues with venting. We have made that clear so, I am not sure how you are missing that point.

Excuse me, but arguing against the company and the RS and the WHOLE damn mess we are in is COMPLETELY VALID.
    Good, we still agree

People are fed up and mad and have a right to vent. Be it in the comments section or the forum.
    People can vent but no one has the "right" to do anything. Just so happens I let them most of the time. I don't want to sound like an ass but for crying out loud this is our website... when I am at my own house I have the right to piss on the toilet seat... do I have that same right at your house (For the record: If I can come piss on your toilet seat I will let you personally write whatever you like wherever you like all over this site)?

That being said, we do this for the people and the people are voting and it seems that the message is clear. I received a half dozen emails last week from people complaining about the comments section.

I for one think theres been some GREAT debates and questions raised in those comments that not only relate to the articles themselves, but to the entire dire situation we find ourselves now.
    It is not the debate and question section... its the comment section. The software simply wasn't designed for this kind of thing... that is what the forums are for.

Plus the questions raised in the comments section often spawn GREAT forum topics.
    And they probably should more often.

Again... and cos1000 said it well.... it is for your own good. The forums are a perfect environment for what people are trying (yet failing) to do in the comments section. I am being crucified for offering a better solution... people are acting like I have closed the comments section and given no other outlet when in reality I have provided a better solution.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Enthusiast
    10-23-2008, 11:18 AM #18
    No offense, but the layout of the forums (in mel karmazin's words) "sucks." It is more convenient and easier to post in the comments sections, and that is probably why most people do it.

10-23-2008, 12:03 PM #19
    I agree with Doobz.

And I also agree with SiriusBuzz. It IS there website.

Personally I've become so disillusioned with this stock and now with some of the views of Brandon and Tyler regarding the RS...that I don't even want to come here anymore.

No offense to them. I am just mentally exhausted. There is no safe place anymore in regards to this stock.

Head Honcho
    10-23-2008, 01:17 PM #20
    The layout of the forums is industry standard and has been adopted across the internet. What is it about the forums that you feels sucks? The information architecture or the actual design? How would you change it? We implement visitor suggestions all the time... speak up people.

BTW, more people post here then in the comments section. Also, who are these people who are voting against the off topic comments and saying that the forums are more conducive to conversation? They certainly don't work for us at SiriusBuzz.

Friggin,

I know exactly how you feel... its my site and I don't even like being here sometimes. That being said, I cant hate my own site because the Sirius management team is sucking wind. Don't project your hatred for Sirius on us!
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Page 2 of 2 12