View Poll Results: What should we do with extremely-off-topic comments under the main page articles?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Remove them.

8 53.33%
  • Leave them.

4 26.67%
  • Who cares, I have no problem ignoring idiots all while still following the relevant comments.

3 20.00%
Page 1 of 2 12
    Head Honcho
    10-22-2008, 07:50 PM #1

Yea or nea to off-topic comments in the articles on the main page?

What should we do about off topic comments in the articles? I am inclined to simply delete or not approve moderated off topic comments but, I will listen to the fans.

I want to be clear that I do not mean comments such as "Tyler is an asshole" (we have no problem with that)... what I do mean is, comments about the market in general or a press release from a financial institution on an article about Howard Stern. I mean truly off topic crap.

I personally find the comments section impossible to follow when 10 of the 40 posts have nothing to do with the article at all. I am not saying that you can't draw relationships between things but I think most of you have noticed that the crap being posted is more off topic chatter then anything else.

It really belongs on the forums but we all know that I can't force people to make their own lives easier and come here. For the life of me I can't figure out why people ask completely irrelevant questions in the comment section of the article when they could post the question here and wind up with an easy to follow answer list. The comment section is for just that... comments! It is not called the conversation/question/off-topic/press release posting section.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Enthusiast
    10-22-2008, 08:01 PM #2
    I think there should be two new forums:

1) Conspiracy Corner

2) Waaaahhhhh, the stock price sucks.

But maybe there should always be a forum thread associated with each news item. I think some people just don't understand that there are even forums here.

Maybe comments should be limited so that people can't paste 10,000 word articles.

Mentor
    10-22-2008, 08:07 PM #3
    Charles,

Thanks for bringing this up. I wish the daily conversation about SIRI would move over to the intraday thread over in the stock talk forums. I'm getting lonely over there! I have been trying to keep the intraday updates and conversation flowing, but I get no company or help. I wish the SIRI intraday discussions were all in one place over there. I have tried to encourage people to post their daily comments about SIRI over there, but I don't know what else I can do...

Mentor
    10-22-2008, 08:17 PM #4
    Maybe if there was a note above the article comment section directing people to post coments that are not related to the article over in the forums, and a warning that all comments unrelated to the article are subject to being deleted?

Enthusiast
    10-22-2008, 08:21 PM #5
    I actually prefer reading the conversations in the comments section as opposed to the forums. It's pretty easy to scroll past any big copy/paste items. Seems to be more dialogue in the comments sections. Too many categories in the forums.. .need to keep hitting the back button or hitting "next" or whatever... waiting for page to load. And... what is there? about 5 new posts a day in the forums? 4 of them from Demian.

Head Honcho
    10-22-2008, 08:37 PM #6

off Topic

Tyler is an asshole is fine.....LOL

Now we know what Charles thinks of me....Just kidding.

People can be critical and have a right to their opinion, and if someone feels that I am an asshole, the so be it.
    Tyler Savery
    Satellite Standard Founder

Guru
    10-22-2008, 08:48 PM #7
    belongs in the forums, a lot of good info is being lost because the off topic conversations are hard to find.

Head Honcho
    10-22-2008, 09:22 PM #8
    Ha... you know what I meant and that was your sentiment from the beginning. We are against censorship so, I wanted to be clear that this isn't about censoring its about making this site better for all.

There are definitely a lot more then 5 posts per day and look how many people chimed in on this one in the first hour or so. I think what we should do is clear but, I will let this thread run for a day or so.

I also agree that we should note above the comments section that off topic comments will be removed and point a link to the forums.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Head Honcho
    10-22-2008, 09:45 PM #9
    I also want to make it clear that the blogging software captures what it think is spam all the time. It is not Tyler or I, in fact the spam plugin for wordpress tries to decipher a legitimate comment from spam and when a comment is 5 paragraphs long or contains a bunch of off site links those comments are held in moderation.

Since installing the software 30k spam comments have been caught!
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

10-22-2008, 09:59 PM #10
    Well that explains why several of my comments have been held in moderation lately -- I'm such a spammer...

Seriously, can you do a registration thing? I know it's a pain in the ass -- but it may cut down on the crap. Those that really want to comment will be registered anyhow -- those that not are more likely to post spam.

---

Page 1 of 2 12