Mentor
    10-06-2008, 12:22 AM #1

Sirius/XM commercial ideas...

I copied an SXMInvestor comment and some of my comments and ideas from the article comment thread so that all the commercial ideas could be together in this thread......

SXMInvestor Says:
    Seems to me their is an opportunity for retail to gain some life & I have a big idea for a commercial for owners of used cars who buy a plug and play radio. Here we go:

So some 18 year kid is getting into his parents used hunk of junk and he installs his plug and play for the 1st time and automatically his car transforms, so if the kid turns on the strobe, the car fills with beautiful club going young woman or if he puts on the NFL channel, you have some stars packed in his car with Logos on the outside of his car, maybe Howard Stern & Crew & Bubba pack his car is he turns that channel on & on and on. Something to make the kid feel like his life changes when he drives around town & turns that radio on and when he pulls back up at his parents house, he pulls the radio out and all goes back to normal, but he tucks the radio in his pocket and kind of looks around like this is my little secret weapon.

Demian Says:

I love your commercial idea. Great marketing idea to make it hip for younger people. Brilliant idea. They should have done this a long time ago. They need to make sat radio cool. Have some rapper in the car with the kid rapping while he is driving.

I wanted to add to your idea with some of my ideas….

Using your concept, it could extend to every member of the family…..

So the dad gets in the car and he tunes to CNN and Larry King and Wolf Blitzer are sitting in the car with him. He tunes to CNBC and then you see Jim Cramer sitting next to him saying “boooooyah”. Whatever sports channel he turns to has famous athletes in the car with him.

Then the mom gets in the car and and you see Oprah in the seat next to her and Martha weaving a basket in the back seat. Oprah says “Me and Martha are going to hang out with you today - hey Martha, how is that basket coming?

Then the daughter gets in the car and you see the Jonas brothers in the car with her, etc.

You could also have an add for Backseat TV showing kids really bored in the backseat. The Mom turns on Backseat TV and then you see cartoon characters sitting next to the kids keeping them company.

You could also show the family in the car in bad weather and traffic. Then you see a newscaster guy with a microphone telling them what is up ahead and how to avoid it and giving a weather forecast.

These ads would also have subliminal messages in them telling people to buy SIRI stock. The promo ads for the new packages you hear on the radio now should also have backwards messages that say “buy SIRI” when reversed.

One other thing. When the car is driving around, it passes an office window and you see Mel K. shaking hands with banker guys in suits. Above the window you see the sign that says, “Loan Office”. The car then passes the GS office building and you see guys in suits crying in the background……….

SXMInvestor Says:

Demian,

Some great ideas, but maybe we could leave out Matha weaving the basket - lol !

Actually I was reminded of an XM commercial from Canada that I had seen where some beautiful woman started throwing their panties at him in his drivers seat when they realized or heard his satellite radio.

I would like to see Sirius XM go on a nightclub tour through many of the major cities promoting the music and overall service.

Demian Says:

I’ve got another idea for a commercial…..

Show 2 young men and a group of hot chicks. One of the girls asks if one of the boys can give them a ride home. They both say “I will” at the same time. The girl then asks if they have sat radio. With much excitement all the girls hop in the car with the guy that has sat radio and the car peels out and leaves the other guy in a cloud of dust. The camera zooms out and the announcer says - “If you don’t have Satellite Radio, you are missing out.”

The music in the background that plays as you see the Sirius/XM logo of course has subliminal backwards messages in it that say “buy SIRI stock now” and “give sat radios to everyone this Christmas.”

Another idea for that ad……

The guy that doesn’t have sat radio says, “I didn’t get it because I thought they were going to go bankrupt and go out of business.” - then all of the girls laugh at him and as they are getting into the other guys car one of the girls says - “what a loser!” and makes the L symbol with her fingers on her forehead……..

I’ve got another idea for a Christmas commercial………….

You show a family in front of the Christmas tree and the parents are giving a present to a high school aged girl. The girl opens the present and starts crying and says, “I didn’t want another iPod, I’m sick of all that music I’ve already heard a million times - I wanted a portable satellite radio! Then there is a knock at the door and it’s her girlfriend who says,”Look what I got for Christmas - the new XMP3!” Then you show the girl holding the iPod crying…….

The camera pans out and the announcer says, “Don’t let this nightmare happen at your house this Christmas - give the gift of live content - give the gift of satellite radio”

Mentor
    10-06-2008, 02:48 AM #2
    How about this:

What can $12.99 buy you?

(flashing CDs): The newest, hippest CD... Maybe

Or... (Flashing all sorts of live content pictures, Stern, O&A, etc, etc, etc depending on the service) The Best Live Radio On Radio.

Don't be a slave to stale playlists...

Sirius XM Radio

Mentor
    10-07-2008, 04:30 PM #3
    Newman,

I like it, but they need to advertise that there are "plans for as little as $6.99 a month" - never say $12.95! That's how you hook people - with the value proposition. The subscribers that buy new radios and actually get the $6.99 plans, I suspect, are penny pinching types that wouldn't be a subscriber at the $12.95 rate anyway. Many people will be sucked in by the $6.99 price, but end up subscribing to a more expensive package. It's like when you see a car commercial and they say "only $9,999" and you see the price on the screen. It seems like a good deal, even though everyone knows it's going to cost more with the options you want etc., but it seems cheap when you see the number - enough to spark your interest to go and check it out.

That's what good advertising should do - spark the consumers interest enough so that they want to go and check it out. Advertising the value of "plans as low as $6.99" should do that......

Mentor
    10-15-2008, 01:13 AM #4
    I've got another commercial idea...

Show two guys on a bus or a train. One guy has an iPod and the other guy has the new XMP3. The guy with the iPod feels left out because he doesn't have any live content. The iPod guy keeps asking the XMP3 guy to check the streaming sports scores and stock ticker for information etc. Then the iPod guy wants to trade so he can hear what the other guy is laughing about ( he is listening to Howard Stern or Opie and Anthony ) etc. Then there is some weather or traffic problems up ahead, and the XMP3 guy gets the info pronto. Then the iPod guy sees a song on the display that he wants. He says that he will download it when he gets home, but the XMP3 guy pushes the middle button and saves it and asks the guy if he wants to hear it right now....

10-15-2008, 03:04 PM #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post
    How about this:

What can $12.99 buy you?

(flashing CDs): The newest, hippest CD... Maybe

Or... (Flashing all sorts of live content pictures, Stern, O&A, etc, etc, etc depending on the service) The Best Live Radio On Radio.

Don't be a slave to stale playlists...

Sirius XM Radio
    i like that one

Mentor
    10-18-2008, 04:55 PM #6
    I've got another commercial idea.....

Have an ad that shows that you can get a signal anywhere. Show a hiker with a portable on top of a mountain. Show a family in a car out on the open road with the kids watching Backseat TV. Show people in remote locations listening to it. There is a large segment of the population that live or travel in remote locations. The message needs to get out that you can listen to sat rad anywhere.

Banned
    10-18-2008, 10:32 PM #7
    More than anything else, you need to promote all the sports you get to listen to for all the sports nuts.

Maybe show a group of parent at a kid's birthday party with portables listening to a NFL/college football game. Of course, they are hiding the fact that they are listening. You see them reacting to an event in the game and then try to cover up their odd behavior. Maybe the tail end of the commercial one of the mom's at the party does something?

Mabye Big Popi is at the party and says "Every sport every spot, every gane every gane" to make the XM tie-in.

Mentor
    10-19-2008, 11:43 AM #8
    You could show a guy with the new portable XMP3. As he puts on the headphones, he is transformed into whatever game he is listening to. You see him on a hockey rink with skates and all the gear and then you see him in a race car. You see him on a golf course and then a football field - a basketball court, and then a baseball field. Each time he is wearing the teams gear and is part of the game. At the end of the commercial the announcer says, "Get Sirius/XM and get into the game!"

Mentor
    10-21-2008, 06:21 AM #9
    This guy made his own Sirius radio ad and was the top winner of the WildPitch.TV contest..

You can watch the video here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM-4Gb52ym8

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2008/10/prweb1499644.htm

WildPitch.TV Announces Winners of its User-Generated Video Ad Contest

New social media advertising firm demonstrates how popular brands can achieve higher consumer engagement by soliciting "homemade" video ads. Company's debut competition attracts hundreds of user-generated video entries from across the U.S.

This contest gave me a great opportunity to show off the joys of my ride.

Pleasanton, CA (PRWEB) October 21, 2008 -- WildPitch.TV, a social media advertising firm, has announced the winners of its "Opening Day - Show Your Stuff" video ad competition. The start-up company, which markets "people-powered" advertising solutions, is showcasing the top user-generated videos from a promotional contest which encouraged consumers to make their own video ads for the products and brands that they love.

Over 175 entries were received from brand zealots and video enthusiasts throughout the U.S. The videos competed for user votes in head-to-head match ups across multiple product categories including automotive, beverages, snacks, entertainment, and electronics. Winners were determined entirely by audience voting. The video ads with the highest winning percentages took home the top prizes.

"We were delighted with the level of consumer participation, as well as the creativity and quality of their submissions," said Dan Berger, Founder and CEO of WildPitch.TV. "Authenticity has become an important objective in advertising today, and you really can't get any more authentic than when the consumers make the ads themselves."

The winning video was a humorous 23-second spot for Sirius Satellite Radio submitted by Craig Kerfoot of Plymouth, MI. According to the winner, the video was shot in an entirely improvisational style with no script with a friend inside his car on a rainy day. Craig, who works for a Fluid Power Distributor by day, is a self-taught videographer. He says he often sees commercials on TV and thinks to himself "Hey, I can make something better than that."

Dawn Campbell of Baltimore, MD took second place. Her video ad for Band-Aids® featured two small dolls as the main characters and a stop-motion technique. The result was a heart-warming, 38-second commercial that won over 75% of its match-ups in the contest. Like Craig, Dawn has always had a passion for advertising. She shares that her doll "actors were very high maintenance but with a little wood, glue, tape, wire and string, they worked out just fine."

18-year old Mike Deagan, a freshman at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, took third place with his "Ford - Drive Green" video ad for the Ford Escape Hybrid. "What teenager doesn't love his car?" he said. "This contest gave me a great opportunity to show off the joys of my ride."

All of the contest winners and video entries can be seen on http://www.wildpitch.tv In early November, the winning videos will also be available on Medeo, a global mobile video service offering lifestyle and entertainment content, and optimized to run on Nokia mobile devices - http://www.medeo.mobi Medeo is powered by Starcut Ltd., a leading mobility company serving media, content owners and brands, in cooperation with Nokia.

About WildPitch.TV:
    WildPitch.TV delivers "people-powered" advertising solutions by motivating consumers to promote their favorite products and brands to each other. The company offers a user-generated, viral video and contest platform as a turnkey solution for brand managers and agencies looking to tap into the creativity, authenticity and aggregate reach of today's "socially-interactive" consumers.

Dan Berger, Founder and CEO
    WildPitch.TV
    415-963-4045 x101
    http://www.wildpitch.tv