Page 2 of 2 12
    Mentor
    10-15-2008, 02:07 AM #11
    Here is an excerpt of some testimony before the U.S. Senate by Gigi B. Sohn pleading for there not to be any local programming restrictions for Sirius/XM...

"Two other points warrant mention here. The first is our strong opposition to any merger condition involving limitations on the ability of consumers to record these satellite radio services. Such a condition would be tantamount to repealing the Audio Home Recording Act, which specifically protects a consumer’s ability to record digital music.

The second is to urge Congress and the FCC to permit satellite radio broadcasters to do more, and not less, local programming. Broadcasters’ opposition to this merger and to satellite radio’s provision of local traffic, weather and emergency information is not only incredibly hypocritical given their own current regulatory efforts to consolidate, but is anticompetitive in its own right. Even assuming that broadcasters take seriously their statutory duty to serve local communities with programming that serves their needs (and not just traffic and weather), there is no reason why, in 2007, any media service should have a government-granted monopoly over local programming."

http://www.publicknowledge.org/node/870

Mentor
    10-15-2008, 02:20 AM #12
    Here is more support for Sirius/XM local broadcast rights from The Center for American Progress...

http://www.americanprogress.org/issu.../b1416697.html

"......Nor does the FCC mean that the local XM and SIRIUS transmitters are prohibited from carrying local programming. Indeed, XM and SIRIUS carry local weather and traffic reports in major markets. It’s just that those reports must be made available nationally. So while SIRIUS can boast offering “original programming — not recycled radio,” the FCC rules are designed to discourage SDARS operators from offering local communities local programming, such as an original report on a local town meeting. So while it is true that Stern can utter obscenities on XM, it is not true that the FCC does not regulate speech on satellite radio.

The rationale behind the FCC’s strangely anti-democratic disincentive against local speech is to protect the core revenue base of broadcast radio – local advertising. And local advertising is sold because local broadcast stations target local audiences. But the combination of radio consolidation and competition for local viewers from national services like satellite radio create disincentives for local radio stations to produce local programming to attract local advertisers. Well-produced national satellite-syndicated news, weather and entertainment programs are much cheaper to broadcast than original local programs, such as a local town meeting. And, despite what the broadcast industry calls onerous public interest obligations, the increasing syndication of national programming such as Rush Limbaugh or Air America on local broadcast radio is also fine with the FCC.

As you might have guessed, it didn’t take long for broadcast radio to find the silver lining in this confusion of “deregulation.” In the fall of 2005, the Center for Digital Media Freedom at the Progress and Freedom Foundation offered up for lunch Mark Mays, the President and Chief Executive Officer of Clear Channel Communications, the owner or programmer of roughly 1,200 radio stations nationwide. According to Mays, eight stations in a market are not enough: “free radio is struggling. The cost of competing with new technologies and increased listener choice is staggering, and profits are down. As it did in 1996, free radio again needs Congress to act. Specifically, free radio needs Congress to relax outdated restrictions on our operations.”

Mays may get his wish. Apparently while Congress was not looking, the FCC switched from the long-standing goal of promoting vibrant local civic programming to now favor national programming variety controlled by a few owners.

It took the jolt of Hurricane Katrina to wake the FCC up to the fact that satellite radio was not simply a national entertainment appliance. In December of 2005 the FCC issued another speech requirement for satellite radio—XM and SIRIUS now must transmit national-level Emergency Alert System messages on all channels. Transmitting local or regional warnings, however, is not required."

Mentor
    03-24-2009, 06:26 PM #13
    Tripping was asking about this issue so I wanted to revive this thread - in light of this report...

http://www.ceoreportcards.com/2009/0...c-information/

I still think that SIRI should be allowed to broadcast local content and advertising. I hope they have lobbyists working on this.......
    Last edited by Demian; 03-24-2009 at 06:30 PM.

Banned
    03-24-2009, 09:49 PM #14
    No need. I figured out the plan over a few beers. iPod and iPhone. Internet Streaming. Sirius has finally figured out that they can simply turn all forms of electronics into Satellite Radio. The article I wrote demonstrates their desire to use the Internet to turn every PC into a radio. That's where the money is. It is my understanding that all future radios Sirius puts out will be wi-fi. Relax. It's all gooood!

Mentor
    03-25-2009, 01:23 PM #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Matthews View Post
    It is my understanding that all future radios Sirius puts out will be wi-fi.
    What would be the purpose of this? I can understand having wi-fi on the portables and home radios, but I don't see the reason for having it on the in dash and cheap plug and play radios. Sirius/XM would rather have you listening to the sat signal when possible - not listening online because of the higher royalties.....

The Stilletos have had wi-fi for a long time now.....
    Last edited by Demian; 03-25-2009 at 01:26 PM.

Guru
    03-25-2009, 02:12 PM #16
    good read demian, i think the fcc will eventually wake up and do the sensible thing.

Page 2 of 2 12