10-03-2008, 09:57 PM #1

Just got Sirius

And I have to say, I dont think the sound quality/fidelity is as good as general fm radio.
    Just bought a new cd/stereo and speakers for my new car I bought the other day. I bought the Sportster 5 reciever. When I switch from fm radio to Sirius, I notice that the fidelity kinda sucks. There is less bass and treble then my fm radio puts out. Granted, I can adjust my bass/treble, but my stereo is new. I have not changed the bass/treble from the default settings yet, but there is quite a difference between the two.
    I have a friend that has had Sirius for some time now. I asked him if he noticed the difference, but he has not.
    I figured if I paid for a subscription, it would sound at least as good as an fm transmission.
    Anyone else run into this?

Enthusiast
    10-04-2008, 10:28 AM #2
    It varies from station to station and time to time. Using "First Wave" as an example, it usually sounds better than FM. Every now and then it sounds so tinny I have to keep the volume down. I think they are tweaking something and it seems to get better in a few days.

Of course, FM varies greatly from station to station as well. Back in the 70's and early 80's nothing sounded as good as WPLJ-FM (in NYC) on my old Pioneer SX-780. Atleast that's the way I remember it.

There seems to be differences in equalization between radios. For example, The Starmate 4 seems to have more bass than the Sirius One I had previously. Could also be an improved chipset in the later radio.

Joined: Jun 2008 Location: God's Country --- Up North Posts: 57
    10-04-2008, 11:16 PM #3
    Sirius has by far much higher sound quality over FM radio.

10-05-2008, 01:00 AM #4
    I`m running my Sirius Sportster 5 with a Sony CDX-GT630UI
    http://news.sel.sony.com/en/image_li...chive=0&page=1
    With this combo the Sirius sounds inferior compared to fm broadcasts. Guess I`ll just have to adjust the bass/treble the best I can for Sirius broadcasts.

Enthusiast
    10-05-2008, 09:32 AM #5
    I have a similiar Sony Radio in my car. In general, car receivers sound about the same. Based on my speakers, I add about +3 db of bass and -3 db of treble (because of the psuedo-tweeters in my dash). If anything I have to add an additional db or two of bass for FM and a db less of bass for CDs

Most of the time Sirius sounds better than FM but nowhere near CD quality

10-06-2008, 09:00 PM #6
    Just got the Sirius SUBX1 Boombox to use in the house and when I`m outside. This boombox sounds awesome! I have never owned a boombox that sounds this good before. Deep bass... it`s there. Cranks up good too.
    I must say I see Sirius in a different light now. Getting more use out of our player now, checking out more of the channels. Still a little dissapointed in the way it sounds in the car, but this boombox makes up for that. Going to get an outdoor antenna soon that will connect to my exsisting cable tv so I can move the box around the house. Also going to look into what I need so I I can run my player thru my home stereo.