Guru
    09-30-2008, 08:14 PM #1

explain ala carte prices

Why is there an alacarte option with 50 channels and stern (without sports) for the same price as everything?

http://www.sirius.com/packages/alacarte

Enthusiast
    09-30-2008, 09:13 PM #2
    I had the same question. Seems not very well thought out. Unless they wont have to pay royalties to the sports teams as a result, and can keep the extra cash for the company.

10-01-2008, 09:24 AM #3
    To be able to get 50 channels of your choice without Howard Stern and without sports for $6.95 a month is awesome. I hope that option is available soon to Canadian subscribers.

Guru
    10-01-2008, 09:28 AM #4
    yes, the $6 package should be a great entry level package and likely grab lots of people on the edge.

The additional packages really make the customer feel like they have options and some control.

But that 50 with stern for same as the full package just seems unnecessary. I can't even think how someone would choose that, or what the intention of it is.

10-01-2008, 09:49 AM #5
    So what they are doing is charging $6.00 a month for Howard Stern with or without sports.
    At least now we will see how popular he really is. Personally I don't think he is worth it and I didn't buy Sat radio to listen to him or sports.
    The ala carte pricing should attract a lot of people who feel the same way.
    It could be a good Christmas season.

Enthusiast
    10-01-2008, 11:18 AM #6

1, 2, 3 !

GERONIMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!1

Enthusiast
    10-01-2008, 03:53 PM #7
    I would pay 6.95 a month to get ONLY Stern. He is exclusively on Sirius XM. That is why he has so much value.
    Last edited by spanyo; 10-01-2008 at 03:55 PM.

10-01-2008, 04:19 PM #8
    Stern is not exclusively on siriusxm.
    Stern on demand is available from most if not all digital cable tv providers.
    If you are that much of a fan that you are here only for him you should know that.

Enthusiast
    10-01-2008, 07:36 PM #9
    Technically it could be said that you are partially correct...

Yet Howard TV does not carry a lot of what is on Sirius, while Direct TV and Dish do not have the technology to carry HTV. (For example you usually don't see any of Robins' news, or a celebrity interview may be shortened. And the stuff from the radio show that IS shown on Howard TV is delayed by at least a day.) So Sirius still has a lot of exclusive content. And is exclusively live. Just as Howard TV has behind the scenes stuff and original programming exclusive to it.

Both services complement and promote one another.

I like both, but I believe the radio show is a better value. My ultimate hope is that there will be some kind of live video streaming of the radio show in a Sirius device.

Anyway if you are only a subscriber, I cannot argue whether he is worth it for you or anyone else. (Humor is in the ear of the beholder.) But as an investor I can tell you he is SO worth it. His popularity, while exaggerated by him on Sirius, was likely greater than was recognized by terrestrial ratings. There were a lot of closet Stern listeners who would never admit their "sin". Despite this, he was still number one in many markets, and would have been #1 in many others if not for the FCC and phony protest groups making it difficult to stay in or move to newer markets. He was even pulled from Toronto radio in 2001 even though he had the #1 show there.

I suspect there will be more than a few people who have yet to hear Stern that will renew their subscriptions in their new cars after the "free" trial, based at least somewhat on his show.

I used to think Stern was a buffoon when I first saw him on Letterman many years ago. Then years later I actually had the ability to hear him on local radio and was blown away by the originality, honesty, and biting satire coming over the airwaves.

Just like "All in the Family", Stern appeals to those who do and do not get it. But the beauty of Sirius XM is a plethora of choice for a reasonable rate... now for almost any budget. Stern is a big reason for this. Just ask the CEO.
    Last edited by spanyo; 10-01-2008 at 08:17 PM.