09-29-2020, 10:24 PM #1

Home User with Speaker Dock - loud popping sounds?

My elderly relative who is blind has used Sirius radios in his home for 15 years. We recently got a new model Onyx EZR and Speaker dock SXSD2. He has described a loud popping sound he thinks could be an electrical short. Happens intermittently. We are hours away and no one has been with him when this happened that could look at the screen for any information. Anyone else using this setup that could assist with an explanation?

Head Honcho
    09-30-2020, 03:00 AM #2
    Whenever I think of audio popping, I think of a loose connection. This is more common with jacks and wires but, its probably the same where the unit is seated into the speaker. I would simply pull out the EZR and re-seat it into the doc.

When you say "blind," are we talking about total darkness, or legally blind because of age related degeneration? I'm wondering if its possible for this person to re-seat/dock the unit themselves. I am also curious if the lights are flickering with this popping sound -- maybe it is an actual short somewhere in the house.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

09-30-2020, 08:36 AM #3
    I'll discuss trying to re-seat it with him. Part of reason for replacement was it seemed the previous model was no longer firmly in the dock as it should be. He is completely blind and unable to note if other electronics affected. Lights on only when visitors around. With a new radio and dock, I felt unlikely they are the issue but seemed worth asking anyway. Thanks.

Head Honcho
    10-01-2020, 01:06 AM #4
    I agree, because its new, it is unlikely that its a bad connection -- it may just be the very first time it was seated, it wasn't fully seated.

The only other real possibility is that its a lemon unit. It sucks but, stuff slips through the quality assurance process. I just bought my first roomba this year, brand new (not refurb), and it was dead on arrival -- not a great first impression.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder