Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The country music thread

Legend
    On May 15, Spotlight channel 4 began airing a countdown of the Top 100 Country Songs. It will repeat several times and run through May 31. I figured the music of the 1920s and '30s would be ignored. I was not expecting that most of the 1940s-50s music would be ignored as well. Eleven Hank Williams songs are on the list but there is nothing by Gene Autry, Bob Wills, Red Foley or Bill Monroe and only two songs by Ernest Tubb and only one song by Kitty Wells.

Eddy Arnold had 146 country hits. Ninety-two of those made the top ten and 28 went to number one. I'll Hold You In My Heart was number one for 21 weeks in 1947. A year later, Bouquet Of Roses spent 19 weeks at number one. Don't Rob Another Man's Castle topped the chart for 12 weeks in 1949. There's Been A Change In Me and I Wanna Play House With You each spent 11 weeks at number one in 1951. Only one – one! – Eddy Arnold song made the list. Make The World Go Away, which was number one for three weeks in December 1965, was #154. Here is the top 30:

1. Friends In Low Places - Garth Brooks
    2. Crazy - Patsy Cline
    3. Folsom Prison Blues - Johnny Cash
    4. I Will Always Love You - Dolly Parton
    5. Springsteen - Eric Church
    6. He Stopped Loving Her Today - George Jones
    7. The Devil Went Down To Georgia - Charlie Daniels Band
    8. King Of The Road - Roger Miller
    9. Dirt Road Anthem - Jason Aldean
    10. El Paso - Marty Robbins
    11. I Fall To Pieces - Patsy Cline
    12. The Dance - Garth Brooks
    13. On The Road Again - Willie Nelson
    14. Mountain Music - Alabama
    15. How Forever Feels - Kenny Chesney
    16. Stand By Your Man - Tammy Wynette
    17. Livin' On Love - Alan Jackson
    18. Ring Of Fire - Johnny Cash
    19. Live Like You Were Dying - Tim McGraw
    20. Your Cheatin' Heart - Hank Williams
    21. When You Say Nothing At All - Keith Whitley
    22. Drink In My Hand - Eric Church
    23. Luckenbach Texas - Waylon Jennings/Willie Nelson
    24. Play It Again - Luke Bryan
    25. God Bless The USA - Lee Greenwood
    26. Hello Darlin' - Conway Twitty
    28. Lookin' For Love - Johnny Lee
    29. Coal Miner's Daughter - Loretta Lynn
    30. It’s A Great Day To Be Alive - Travis Tritt

Legend
    I'm not the only country music fan complaining that SiriusXM's Top 1000 ignored hundreds of number-one hits by major artists of the 1940s-50s-60s-70s and included way too many songs from the 2000s and 2010s. KRIS-Channel 6 in Corpus Christi acknowledges the confusing country classics compilation consternation:

https://kristv.com/entertainment/201...n-eric-church/

The entire list can be viewed at

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...8hIVEkbCTSfvY/

Legend
    Sheryl Crow, best known for her pop hits All I Wanna Do, Strong Enough, Soak Up The Sun and Every Day Is A Winding Road, has a new country single, Prove You Wrong, which features Stevie Nicks and Maren Morris singing harmony and Vince Gill, Joe Walsh and Waddy Wachtel on guitar. The single was released on June 5 and is already #33 on Billboard's country airplay chart. It will likely reach the top ten. Hurry and listen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYu0jmqeAVU

Legend
    Sideline, a sextet from Raleigh, North Carolina, released their first album, Front & Center, in 2018. It included Thunder Dan, which turned out to be the year's most-played bluegrass song. Bluegrass Junction just added Sideline's new single, Crash Course In The Blues, which features guitarist Skip Cherryholmes on lead vocals. The song was originally a #32 country hit for Steve Wariner in 1992. Country stations should be playing Sideline's version too. Hurry and listen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yruz69iBxkI

5. Ad Fairy Senior Member
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123