Page 4 of 4 ... 234
    Legend
    07-08-2020, 10:18 PM #31
    The Bakersfield Beat channel is full of surprises! I just heard Hop, Skip & Jump by the Collins Kids. When the single was released in April 1957, Oklahoma-born Larry (who also played guitar) was 12 and his sister Lorrie was almost 15. Larry would later co-write Delta Dawn and You're The Reason God Made Oklahoma. Here is the song. It was a regional hit in parts of the midwest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShY5I2QupRo

Legend
    07-11-2020, 07:48 PM #32
    Red Simpson – his real first name was Joseph – had only one big country hit, I'm A Truck, which reached #4 in February 1972. Yes, it was written from the standpoint of a truck: "There'd be no truck drivers if it wasn't for us trucks. Look at him sippin' coffee and flirting with that waitress. And where do you think he left me? That's right, next to a cattle truck. Why couldn't he have put me over there next to that little pink Mack? Gosh, she's got pretty mud flaps. And talk about stacked – they're both chromed."

The Bakersfield Beat just played Sweet Love by Glen Ayers, Red Simpson & the Keynotes. It was Simpson's first recording, released in 1957 on Tally Records, a Bakersfield label founded two years earlier by Charles "Fuzzy" Owen and his cousin, Lewis Talley. The label also released singles by Herb Henson, Al Hendrix, Fuzzy Owen, Cliff Crofford, Bill Carter, Wally Lewis, the Three Notes and – before they signed with Capitol in 1965 – Merle Haggard and Bonnie Owens. Here is Sweet Love. "Tell me more! I'm listening! Okay, let's go!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAL9k9gxKFY

Legend
    08-03-2020, 08:01 PM #33
    Ernie Kelley recorded only one single, Seal Rock. The Bakersfield Beat just played it. It was written by Ralph Yaw and Mel Waters and released December 22, 1958 by Bakersfield label Global Records. From 1927 to 1934, Yaw managed the Coconut Grove in Bakersfield and played piano in the house band. He then became a songwriter and arranger, working with Stan Kenton, Les Brown, Count Basie, Cab Calloway and other bandleaders in the 1930s and '40s. Here is Seal Rock. It is truly bizarre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Rz0UfITDlA

Legend
    08-15-2020, 04:55 PM #34
    Jeannie Seely had several big hits in the 1960s-70s including Don't Touch Me, Lucky Ladies, Can I Sleep In Your Arms and three duets with Jack Greene. Seely, now 80, released a new CD yesterday, August 14. An American Classic includes a few remakes of Seely's hits and features several guest vocalists including Bill Anderson, Vince Gill, Lorrie Morgan, Ray Stevens and Steve Wariner. Willie's Roadhouse just played Seely's duet with Willie Nelson, Not A Dry Eye In The House. The song was written by Dallas Wayne, who recorded it in 2001 for his album Here I Am In Dallas. Here are Jeannie and Willie:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ7ghJQhD5w

Page 4 of 4 ... 234