Page 7 of 11 ... 56789 ...
    Legend
    03-13-2018, 04:59 PM #61
    If only our Republican Congressmen would start listening to our nation's students instead of to the NRA.......

More than 1,000 student walkouts scheduled across the country
    NBC News, Mar 13 2018

Thousands of students and organizations across the country are joining in school walkouts in honor of those who died in the Parkland shooting last month and to call on legislators for stricter gun laws. On March 14 at 10 AM ET, administrators, allies and students of all ages will collectively leave classrooms in protest of Congress' inaction on gun reform.

The National School Walkout, with more than 1,000 protests organized so far, is led by the Women’s March’s Youth EMPOWER group and is just one of several upcoming events being held in wake of the Parkland shooting, including the March For Our Lives in Washington, spearheaded by the Parkland students, on March 23.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ountry-n855886

Legend
    03-14-2018, 01:26 PM #62
    If you think schools teachers should be armed.......think again.

California teacher accidentally fires gun and injures student during public safety class

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/cai...ent/ar-BBKbTPI

Legend
    03-14-2018, 09:25 PM #63
    Thousands of students today staged a nationwide walkout to protest the failure of the Republican-led Congress to take measures to stem the rising tide of gun violence. The NRA, which is a huge part of the problem, sent out a tweet saying "I'll control my own guns, thank you" along with a picture of an AR-15 (the gun used by Nikolas Cruz to kill 17 classmates) with an American flag sticker on it. The NRA values guns and gun ownership. The NRA does not value human life. Truly sad.

NRA trolls student gun protests with defiant tweet

https://nypost.com/2018/03/14/nra-tr...defiant-tweet/

03-14-2018, 11:28 PM #64
    I heard something interesting about the walkout. Students stayed out of school for 17 minutes because 17 students were killed in the school shooting. Several TV channels like MTV and Nickelodeon showed their support by going off the air for 17 minutes. I hope the students keep protesting until something is done. It is sad that they have to live in fear of getting shot.

Legend
    03-15-2018, 05:23 PM #65
    My prediction: Seventeen wrongful-death lawsuits will be filed.

Parkland video shows deputy waiting outside school as shooting unfolds inside
    Los Angeles Times, Mar 15 2018 10:50 AM

Surveillance footage released by Florida authorities today shows a Broward County deputy waiting outside Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School for several minutes, speaking on his radio, as a mass shooting unfolded inside. The video, released by the Broward County Sheriff's Office on orders from a judge, sheds further light on officials' allegations that Deputy Scot Peterson failed to charge into the Parkland school as a gunman killed 17 people.

Media organizations had requested release of the footage as public controversy grew around law enforcement's failure to prevent the massacre — despite warnings about alleged gunman Nikolas Cruz's behavior — in addition to its slow initial response when the shooting began. The Sheriff's Office said in a statement, "The video speaks for itself. Peterson's actions were enough to warrant an internal affairs investigation, as requested by Sheriff Scott Israel on February 21. After being suspended without pay, Peterson chose to resign and immediately retired rather than face possible termination."

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-...315-story.html

Legend
    03-16-2018, 05:03 PM #66
    I can answer the second part of this headline: As long as the NRA-puppet Republicans control Congress, no gun legislation will be passed. Cities, counties and states will have to act on their own.

Senate panel explores why the FBI missed warnings before Parkland school shooting — and whether gun measures can pass Congress

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-n...314-story.html

Legend
    03-18-2018, 01:04 PM #67
    Guns and ammo are sold at Fred Meyer stores in four states. In response to the Parkland massacre, the chain raised the minimum age to buy guns and ammo from 18 to 21. Now they've gone one step further. One big step further.

Superstore chain Fred Meyer to stop selling guns and ammo

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-...317-story.html

03-21-2018, 11:30 PM #68
    I heard that YouTube is getting rid of gun ads and videos that show how to assemble a gun. I think this is a good idea. There was another school shooting this week and I do not think guns should be sold to anyone under 21.

Legend
    03-22-2018, 02:38 PM #69
    The NRA worships guns -- always has, always will. However, guns are rapidly falling out of favor with the rest of America. Citigroup is the latest company to take action:

Citigroup restricts gun sales by customers
    CBS News, Mar 22 2018 1:21 PM

Citigroup says it will no longer do business with those who don't adhere to its new policies on selling firearms. Citi will require its clients to refrain from selling guns to those who have not passed a background check or who are not yet 21. It also prohibits them from selling bump stocks and high-capacity magazines. The policy applies to bank customers who offer Citi-branded credit cards, borrow money or use other Citi services.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/citigro...iness-clients/

Legend
    03-24-2018, 04:42 PM #70
    I would like to think that action will be taken now to stem the rising tide of gun violence and school shootings -- and action won't have to wait until today's students are old enough to enter politics and get elected to public office. Unfortunately, I fear nothing will change until Democrats regain control of Congress.

'March For Our Lives' rallies unfold nationwide
    CBS News, Mar 24 2018 3:29 PM EDT

Summoned to action by student survivors of the Florida school shooting, hundreds of thousands of teenagers and their supporters rallied in the nation's capital and cities across America today to press for gun control in one of the biggest youth protests since the Vietnam era. Chanting "Vote them out!" and bearing signs reading "We Are The Change," ''No More Silence" and "Keep NRA Money Out Of Politics," protesters packed Pennsylvania Avenue between the Capitol and the White House.

"If you listen real close, you can hear the people in power shaking," David Hogg, a survivor who has emerged as one of the student leaders of the movement, told the roaring crowd of demonstrators at the March For Our Lives rally in Washington. He warned: "We will get rid of these public servants who only care about the gun lobby."

Large rallies with crowds estimated in the tens of thousands in many cases also unfolded in such cities as Boston, New York, Chicago, Houston, Fort Worth, Minneapolis and Parkland, Florida, the site of the February 14 attack at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School that left 17 people dead. Protesters complained over and over that they are afraid of getting shot in school and tired of inaction on the part of grown-ups after one mass shooting after another. They called for such measures as a ban on high-capacity magazines and assault-type rifles like the one used by the Florida killer, tighter background checks and school security, and a raising of the age to buy guns.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/march-f...washignton-dc/

Page 7 of 11 ... 56789 ...