Page 2 of 11 1234 ...
    Legend
    12-09-2017, 10:07 PM #11
    The Beatles Channel played Cookin' In The Kitchen Of Love from Ringo Starr's 1976 Rotogravure album. The song was written by John Lennon, who plays piano on the track. Yes, it's an awful song with an awful title but don't judge John too harshly. Ringo told Circus magazine, "He's written it for me and he knows me better than anybody else in the world so he really becomes involved, playing, singing, doing everything he can." Ringo is backed by Melissa Manchester. Here is the song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EujDVd89YXs

Legend
    12-12-2017, 01:29 AM #12
    The Beatles Channel just played Paul McCartney's acoustic version of Bill Monroe's 1946 country hit Blue Moon Of Kentucky. (In 1954, a 19-year-old Mississippi boy with the peculiar name Elvis also recorded the song.) Paul's recording is from a 1991 episode of MTV Unplugged. Here it is:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sCgmAvVVr0I

Legend
    12-21-2017, 09:36 PM #13
    From ABC News:

Updated Beatles exhibit to open at Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame on Friday

The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame museum in Cleveland has updated its exhibit focusing on The Beatles' musical and cultural contributions with a variety of new pieces of memorabilia. The revamped display will open on Friday, December 22.

Among the new items is an upright piano that John Lennon and Paul McCartney used to write a number of classic Fab Four tunes. The piano was located in the home of the parents of McCartney's then-girlfriend Jane Asher, where Paul lived for three years starting in 1963. The instrument was used to write such songs as I Want To Hold Your Hand, And I Love Her, We Can Work It Out, Got To Get You Into My Life and Eleanor Rigby.

Other new collectibles featured in the exhibit include drumsticks used by Ringo Starr at a Beatles show in Cleveland in September 1964, a suit that George Harrison wore during the band's 1966 tour, a handwritten musical score and notes penned by McCartney for the song Birthday, and a Hofner Senator electric guitar that Lennon bought during the Fab Four's time in Germany and that he used in the studio and to write songs.

Legend
    12-29-2017, 08:15 PM #14
    "Hey, mate, I can't play me drums with this bloomin' armor on."

Ringo Starr to be awarded knighthood in New Year's Honours at Buckingham Palace

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-honours.html

Legend
    12-30-2017, 05:37 PM #15
    The Beatles Channel played Angel from James McCartney's first EP, Available Light (2010). Born in 1977, James is the only son of Paul and Linda McCartney. He plays bass, piano and drums and has played on several tracks on Paul's albums. In turn, Paul has played on several tracks on James' two EPs and two albums. Here is Angel, with James and the band doing their very best impression of the Gin Blossoms:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9fGUFp-L2bA

Legend
    12-30-2017, 11:55 PM #16
    Sir Paul McCartney congratulates fellow Beatle Ringo Starr on his New Year's knighthood honor
    Billboard, Dec 30 2017 9:48 PM

Sir Paul McCartney posted congratulations on social media today following Friday's official announcement that Beatles drummer Ringo Starr would be knighted in the 2018 New Year's Honors: "Huge congrats, Sir Ringo! Sir Richard Starkey has a nice ring to it. Best drummer, best pal! X Paul.”

Starr is being honored for "services to music." Ringo's knighthood comes 20 years after McCartney was knighted, in 1997. Starr, 77, is on this year's list of honorees who are recognized for high achievements in the United Kingdom. In a statement, Starr said, "It's great! It's an honor and a pleasure to be considered and acknowledged for my music and my charity work, both of which I love. Peace and love."

https://www.aol.com/article/entertai...hood/23320370/

Legend
    12-31-2017, 06:55 PM #17
    The Beatles Channel played Allan Sherman's Pop Hates The Beatles. The song, sung to the tune of Pop Goes The Weasel, is included on Sherman's 1964 album For Swingin' Livers Only. Sherman co-wrote it, as well as his 1963 hit Hello Mudduh Hello Fadduh, with Lou Busch, a songwriter/conductor/producer/pianist who, as Joe "Fingers" Carr, released several albums in the '50s and '60s. Warner Bros. planned to release Pop Hates The Beatles as a single (#5490) in December 1964 but never did so. Perhaps they were afraid of antagonizing millions of teenaged Beatles fans. Here is the song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuycmIAGVqg

Legend
    01-07-2018, 05:42 PM #18
    The Beatles Channel has played True Love by Bing Crosby & Grace Kelly! Yes, really! They introduced the Cole Porter song in the 1956 MGM musical High Society. Of course the channel also plays George Harrison's version of True Love from his 1976 Thirty Three & 1/3 album -- it was released as a single in the UK but not in the US -- as well as Elvis Presley's version from the 1957 Loving You soundtrack album. Somehow I can't picture Elvis ever being "suntanned" and "windblown." Here is George Harrison:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYfNiApxmEA

Legend
    01-13-2018, 02:01 AM #19
    Today the Beatles Channel played Alice Cooper's version of Hey Bulldog from the 2006 CD Butchering The Beatles, which featured remakes of Beatles songs by Billy Idol, Billy Gibbons, Kip Winger and other 1980s rock singers. The cover was a parody of the original cover of the Beatles' 1966 Yesterday & Today album. The so-called "butcher cover," meant to be a criticism of the Việt Nam war, showed the Beatles wearing butcher smocks and surrounded by slabs of meat and parts of dolls. Around 750,000 copies were printed before the powers that be at Capitol Records decided the picture was in bad taste. Many of the covers were destroyed but several thousand were pasted over with a picture of the Beatles around a steamer trunk. Around 30 copies of the "butcher cover" still exist.

Hey Bulldog, written by John Lennon, was featured in the 1968 animated Yellow Submarine movie, in a scene where the Beatles are battling a four-headed Blue Meanie dog. At least it was featured in the movie in most of the world. Brooklyn-born Al Brodax, who produced Yellow Submarine and the 1965-67 Beatles cartoon series, thought the movie was too long so he cut the Hey Bulldog sequence for the US release of the film. So 90 minutes was too long but 85 minutes was okay? Really? Brodax should have left the film alone. (He died in December 2016 at age 90.) The sequence was restored for the 1999 re-release of the film and of course it is included on the DVD and blu-ray releases.

Here is Alice Cooper's version of the song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9XawVhxyqA
    Attached Images Attached Images

Legend
    01-20-2018, 07:30 PM #20
    The Beatles Channel played a nice version of I Should Have Known Better by She & Him. Shouldn't it be "He & She"? Well, no, they call themselves "She & Him" and we just have to accept that. "She" is pianist/ukulele player Zooey Deschanel and "Him" is producer/guitarist Matthew Ward, who learned guitar as a child. What songs did he like to play? Beatles songs, of course. Matthew and Zooey first teamed up in 2007 to record When I Get To The Border, which was played during the closing credits of the movie The Go-Getter. Their version of I Should Have Known Better is from their 2008 debut album, Volume One:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3oZkTPv550

Page 2 of 11 1234 ...