08-16-2016, 05:56 PM #1

SiriusXM A-la-carte not available for car radios???

I was chatting with customer service to ask about a-la carte and he said it wasn't available for car radios. He disconnected before I could ask him why not. So that is why I am here.

I don't understand why car radios have anything to do with the full package, half-package or a-la-carte. The car radio should just display what its given or at least just allow you to listen to stations that have access to. A car radio should just be a dumb receiver like cable boxes for cable(you can watch shows you have paid for and if you haven't, displays an error message and a phone number to call) or satellite dish software.

The radio that came with the vehicle can play all sirius xm channels (the 3 month free trial). Why, all of a sudden, isn't it capable of playing a-la-carte channels (which are a subset of the ALL of channels that I had with the trial??)

I don't know if i should laugh because the industry was so incompetent as to build car radios that simply just communicate between the provider and user properly instead of having ridiculous limitations or if i should be a little perturbed that it was done on purpose for making people buy additional radios for their cars or swap the stock ones out for "compatible" ones.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by geeksweep; 08-16-2016 at 09:46 PM.

08-16-2016, 10:02 PM #2

here is my chat with them...

Arnold: Hi, my name is Arnold, Thank you for contacting SiriusXM. How may I help you?
    Chad Smith: hi i just had a quick question
    Chad Smith: hi Arnold
    Arnold: Hello, Good Evening!
    Arnold: May I know yur query ?
    Chad Smith: i bought a vehicle with a 3 month sirius XM trial and i was looking at getting the a-la-carte package but it says the radio that came with the vehicle is not a-la-carte compatible. The radio that came with the vehicle can play all sirius xm channels (the 3 month free trial). Why, all of a sudden, isn't it capable of playing a-la-carte channels (which are a subset of the ALL of channels that I had with the trial??)
    Arnold: May I know yurt query ?**
    Arnold: I'll be happy to help you with that information.
    Arnold: A La Carte package is only for the portable radios Starmate 6 , 7 and Starmate 8.
    Arnold: We don't have option to activate the A La Carte package on Vehicle radios.
    Arnold: I apologize for the inconvenience.
    Chad Smith: i know but the radio that came with the vehicle is capable of playing any channel on the sirius XM lineup.
    Arnold: Yes, you can listen any channel but you can't activate the A La Carte package on Vehicle radios.
    Chad Smith: but thats just a policy of sirius XM.. its not the the radio can't play channels in the a la carte lineup(which ever channels i would choose)
    Arnold: Vehicle radios doesn't have option to activate A La carte subscription.
    Arnold: You can listen to all channels with the All Access package.
    Chad Smith: why doesnt it have that option? it can't be a technical reason...
    Arnold: All Access costs $19.99 + fees and taxes per month. You will get over 150 channels and Internet radio is included in the package. For more information visit http://www.siriusxm.com/packages/siriusallaccess
    Arnold: All SiriusXM subscriptions (except for automotive trial subscriptions) automatically renew according to the billing plan you chose, and will automatically bill according to our then-current rates, until you call SiriusXM at 866-635-2349 to cancel. This means you get to keep listening through your renewal period without interruption
    Arnold: They are not designed to have A La Carte subscription.
    Chad Smith: what do mean not designed? they can play all the channels in the trial but not a select set of channels that i choose in the a-la-carte pricing? that doesnt make sense.
    Arnold: We don't have information about the programming it is designed by our programming team.
    Arnold: Vehicle radios doesn't have option to activate A La carte subscription.
    Arnold: we have a special team that will help you with that. Let me give you their telephone number.
    Arnold: You can reach our team Listener Care at 888-635-5142.

Arnold: Do you have any further questions?
    Chad Smith: yeah please send a note to the programming team to allow for a-la-carte channels - its like when you sign up for cable and you buy a package of channels (and when you go to a channel) it will tell you "you don't have access to this".. etc etc.
    Chad Smith: seems like this would apply here as well
    Arnold: I understand!
    Arnold: Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. We strive to create a positive customer service experience and would appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback at https://listenercare.siriusxm.com/app/ask
    Arnold: Is there anything else I can assist you with?
    Chad Smith: i don't think so..thanks!

So the software was really not designed to have a-la-carte even though a-la-carte has been out for YEARS (and this is a 2016 model) so thats a major epic fail (not that it would require a lot of change to the programming code to do since the radio already can plan ALL channels)... OR the 'on switch' was purposefully and willingly turned off in order to use that as an excuse for people to either buy the all access packages (and above) or to spend more money on a 'compatible' radio. Im leaning towards the latter.