04-10-2016, 04:22 PM #1

Sirius XM home signal not constant

I just purchased (or was gifted) a brand new onyx receiver to replace my old Starmate that was going on the fritz. After setting it up, the satellite signal indicator shows the satellite signal varying wildly from about 75% to almost zero and back again, chaotically, in a matter of seconds. And, obviously, I am losing reception periodically, which is very annoying.
    If my antenna is pointed in the right direction, which I think it is, why does this happen?

Head Honcho
    04-13-2016, 11:48 PM #2
    It could be electrical interference. Make sure there are no power wires running near the antenna wire. Make sure there isn't a microwave oven running near the antenna.

It could be physical interference. Is anything blocking the antennas view of the sky? Trees, powerlines, etc.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

05-03-2016, 08:43 AM #3
    I too started having trouble receiving a signal on my home unit last month. I've had the same unit and antenna placement for years without any problems. I tried a different antenna, but there was no improvement. When calling support, it was suggested that I replace the home unit. Has anyone else experienced this same problem?

05-07-2016, 01:42 AM #4
    YES, I have had the same problems with a home unit, as well as a portable unit that docks into a home stereo system. Both antennas have been in place for years and have never had an issue with either until about 2 weeks ago. I began to think the problems are with the units themselves until I read some of these threads and see that many others have had similar issues within the same time frame. Maybe it has to do with new satellites being placed in orbit? Im very reluctant to replace my radio units since they have been so stable for so long. I really doubt that's the issue. What I have also found annoying is the sound distorts sometimes as well, before it cuts out-- like the speed of a turntable was suddenly altered-- which may be an issue with the feed. It's all very strange and too bad SiriusXM wont provide info as to why we are experiencing such problems. The cynic in me wants to say they are trying to force us to purchase new units while the optimist wants it to be an issue with the signal that will be resolved in time.