Page 2 of 24 123412 ...
    Addict
    12-01-2015, 10:10 AM #11
    Quote Originally Posted by dm_4 View Post
    Ahhhhh ok i see. I just joined Fidelity and am just waiting on selling the rest of my siri core sometime this month before switching over. My hope is to start trading out of Fidelity Jan 1, 16. They gave me a pretty sweet deal to switch.
    Apparently Fidelity has grossly improved their systems for we retail investors. Wifey and I had accounts there for years but converted totally to TDA where we found the service and available tools were (maybe are) superior. For example, I've not found in Fidelity anything comparable to Think-or-swim or with their offerings through their Investools subsidiary
    ..... Even with free trade commissions, I can't find justification for a change again.

Guru
    12-01-2015, 10:16 AM #12
    Quote Originally Posted by siriusly_invested View Post
    Apparently Fidelity has grossly improved their systems for we retail investors. Wifey and I had accounts there for years but converted totally to TDA where we found the service and available tools were (maybe are) superior. For example, I've not found in Fidelity anything comparable to Think-or-swim or with their offerings through their Investools subsidiary
    ..... Even with free trade commissions, I can't find justification for a change again.
    Always good to have insight from previous users so thanks for that SI. I guess i will find out first hand. How long ago were you a user of Fidelity?

Any one here currently use them? I think Midas does. Midas if you are a member of Fidelity any issues?

Guru
    12-01-2015, 10:21 AM #13
    SIRI looking good in pre.

12-01-2015, 10:25 AM #14
    Nice. Been with Fidelity for almost 20 years. Sly is right... no one has a platform like Think or Swim but Fidelity does have low trade commissions. Also, you can open a brokerage account that behaves just like a savings and checking. You can get a debit card, checks, trade, etc. The customer service is excellent PLUS they have physical locations you can go and visit IF you need too. They also reimburse you the ATM fee too. Good move DM!! They are running a special now where you get 300 free trades if you desposit $50K. If they didn't mention this and you transfered over, call them and have them add it to your accounts.

Edit: Love the iPhone app too. I love being able to deposit checks using it.

Ahhhhh ok i see. I just joined Fidelity and am just waiting on selling the rest of my siri core sometime this month before switching over. My hope is to start trading out of Fidelity Jan 1, 16. They gave me a pretty sweet deal to switch.

I am expecting HS news this week. Might even get that news today or tomorrow in time for Frear presentation at BOA.
    I WIN. GAME OVER. CHECK MATE. I CONTROL YOUR EVERY MOVE. WATCH WHAT HAPPENS NEXT

Guru
    12-01-2015, 10:43 AM #15
    Quote Originally Posted by midas360 View Post
    Nice. Been with Fidelity for almost 20 years. Sly is right... no one has a platform like Think or Swim but Fidelity does have low trade commissions. Also, you can open a brokerage account that behaves just like a savings and checking. You can get a debit card, checks, trade, etc. The customer service is excellent PLUS they have physical locations you can go and visit IF you need too. They also reimburse you the ATM fee too. Good move DM!! They are running a special now where you get 300 free trades if you desposit $50K. If they didn't mention this and you transfered over, call them and have them add it to your accounts.

Good stuff Midas thanks for the info. Although the offer i got was actually 500 free trades....not sure what the dollar amt needed to be....100k maybe i forget.

Enthusiast
    12-01-2015, 11:07 AM #16
    Wow SN...I can't believe how i just watched the browns line up to kick a last second game winning field goal only to see it get blocked and ran back by a Ravens player for a game ending touchdown lol. My gawd is this truly what goes on to browns fans? wowza.
    Well DM - That's why I call them the Charlie Browns. Week in & week out as much as they want to be a winner they just fall a little short, usually in a comical way. I watch them now for their comedy value lol. Kind of like women's basketball.

12-01-2015, 11:35 AM #17
    I am conflicted... Patriots look like they are going to go all the way. Despite the loss, they are a well oiled machine. They need this break to get recharged mentally and physically. Give some 2nd stringers time to play because they may need them in the superbowl. I wiill be honest... not much of a NFL guy like I used too but I do follow the teams. Pats just look too good.
    I WIN. GAME OVER. CHECK MATE. I CONTROL YOUR EVERY MOVE. WATCH WHAT HAPPENS NEXT

Enthusiast
    12-01-2015, 11:47 AM #18
    I am conflicted... Patriots look like they are going to go all the way. Despite the loss, they are a well oiled machine. They need this break to get recharged mentally and physically. Give some 2nd stringers time to play because they may need them in the superbowl. I wiill be honest... not much of a NFL guy like I used too but I do follow the teams. Pats just look too good.
    I'll take the Vikings since the Browns are out.

Addict
    12-01-2015, 11:50 AM #19

Actually, my wife still has a SEP account at Fidelity so we take advantage of the opportunity to compare with TDA. Most of our funds transferred out 3 years ago after a dozen or more years exclusively at Fidelity. For our purposes we just found that TDA is the best overall platform for us.

I suppose it depends on one's personal needs and likes. For example, I already mentioned TDA has the best suite of tools for my particular desires, including a gratis three year subscription to their Investools offerings as a bonus for moving our funds from Fidelity. That bonus and gains derived have far exceeded the equivalent of the free trade commissions value.

We have never used a Debit card nor an ATM, so there's been no recognized benefit in moving our banking needs from our local credit union where we've been for over 35 years. TDA maintains a local business office where I can walk in for face-to-face consultation and services as needed.

Little known fact which TDA fails to advertise is that they offer deep-discounted commission rates available for the asking... based on your account balances. I've not heard of the 300 or 500 free commission bonuses, but in the long run I think I'm money ahead with my present arrangements at TDA. Oh, I forgot to mention that TDA customer service is second to none, and reachable 24/7.

We've not recently traded in the Fidelity account, but I seem to recall their confirmation responsiveness is only so-so compared to TDA. I've also experienced at Fidelity a somewhat cumbersome and time-consuming administrative process. For example, to administer the RMD annual distribution requires faxed or mailed forms whereas TDA uses modern age online procedures. I found the same to be true with cash withdrawals or transfers to another institution. (Major pet peeve is that while TDA allows and enables the RMD to be electronically transferred to our bank account, Fidelity still demands to issue the funds via a personal check in the mail......... introducing time delay and requiring personal attention to deposit the funds..... that's a prime example of their inability to keep up with the times)............. Anyway, I guess it just depends on what one's needs are.

I think as I hear myself think, I guess I became disenchanted with Fidelity mostly because of their inability to keep up with demonstrated modern processes, procedures, and tools. Maybe they recognize that weakness so their answer is to offer those attention-getting services.

EDIT: I wonder if what I've observed re. Fidelity's inability to keep up, or to get with a modern approach is possibly the result of them attempting to break the bonds of strictly dealing in Mutual Funds and corporate retirement accounts and gradually learning how to move into the retail investor environment.
    Last edited by siriusly_invested; 12-01-2015 at 12:05 PM.

12-01-2015, 11:59 AM #20
    All I know is... I hear a lot of complaints about TD platform(s) going down or locking up. Yes their platform is by far the best out there (if you know how to use it).

I use ActiveTraderPro.com to get realtime quotes, chates, level 2, trade history, but I prefer placing my trades on fidelity.com.

I love the account features. I don't think any other "brokerage company" offers it! You just can't deposit "cash" in your account.

Quote Originally Posted by siriusly_invested View Post
    Actually, my wife still has a SEP account at Fidelity so we take advantage of the opportunity to compare with TDA. Most of our funds transferred out 3 years ago after a dozen or more years exclusively at Fidelity. For our purposes we just found that TDA is the best overall platform for us.

I suppose it depends on one's personal needs and likes. For example, I already mentioned TDA has the best suite of tools for my particular desires, including a gratis three year subscription to their Investools offerings as a bonus for moving our funds from Fidelity. That bonus and gains derived have far exceeded the equivalent of the free trade commissions value.

We have never used a Debit card nor an ATM, so there's been no recognized benefit in moving our banking needs from our local credit union where we've been for over 35 years. TDA maintains a local business office locally, where I can walk in for face-to-face consultation and services as needed.

Little known fact which TDA fails to advertise is that they offer deep-discounted commission rates available for the asking... based on your account balances. I've not heard of the 300 or 500 free commission bonuses, but in the long run I think I'm money ahead with my present arrangements at TDA. Oh, I forgot to mention that TDA customer service is second to none, and reachable 24/7.

We've not recently traded in the Fidelity account, but I seem to recall their confirmation responsiveness is only so-so compared to TDA. I've also experienced at Fidelity a somewhat cumbersome and time-consuming administrative process. For example, to administer the RMD annual distribution requires faxed or mailed forms whereas TDA uses modern age online procedures. I found the same to be true with cash withdrawals or transfers to another institution. (Major pet peeve is that while TDA allows and enables the RMD to be electronically transferred to our bank account, Fidelity still demands to issue the funds via a personal check in the mail......... introducing time delay and requiring personal attention to deposit the funds..... that's a prime example of their inability to keep up with the times)............. Anyway, I guess it just depends on what one's needs are.

I think as I hear myself think, I guess I became disenchanted with Fidelity mostly because of their inability to keep up with demonstrated modern processes, procedures, and tools. Maybe they recognize that weakness so their answer is to offer those attention-getting services.

Page 2 of 24 123412 ...