06-02-2015, 09:53 AM #1

Antenna damaged or disconnected message

It's been rainy and very misty today here in the Rochester NY area. Today I started getting a message on the screen of my Onyx radio. It said the above, the I would get reception for a few minutes, then the same message. Is it due to the weather or something else. I think I have an old Sirius radio inside the house. Will that work or should I order a new SiriusXM antenna

06-02-2015, 06:27 PM #2
    If your outside antenna is more than a few years old, it might be time for a new one..Is this a vehicle mount or an outdoor home antenna?

06-02-2015, 07:05 PM #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairwind View Post
    If your outside antenna is more than a few years old, it might be time for a new one..Is this a vehicle mount or an outdoor home antenna?
    It's on the back roof of my RAV4. It's a small rectangle and I think it's about 2 years old.

06-02-2015, 07:17 PM #4
    Those are usually pretty reliable unless the fragile cable has been damaged....If you can, test it on another Sirius radio...Otherwise, buy a replacement on eBay for half what Sirius charges...

06-03-2015, 03:43 PM #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairwind View Post
    Those are usually pretty reliable unless the fragile cable has been damaged....If you can, test it on another Sirius radio...Otherwise, buy a replacement on eBay for half what Sirius charges...
    We've had several days of dry weather. Today no problems. I put the old round Sirus antenna in the spare tire well. We are leaving for a 2 week vacation on the 13th.

Is there any difference between the older Sirus round antenna and the n ewer square SirusXm antenna?

06-09-2015, 08:44 AM #6
    Follow up
    Replaced the antenna with the one that came with my previous radio, a Stratus. No more error messages. Which is a good thing since we are headed out for a 2 week vacation on Sat.

04-09-2016, 02:13 PM #7
    I just opened my Onyx EZ and my new Sirius boombox, each of which came with an antenna. It played for 10 minutes, then I got this error message. After working on it for a while, I opened the other antenna and tried it. Same thing. Very frustrated and unhappy.

06-14-2016, 05:14 PM #8
    I have been getting a check antenna connection message also. At first only in my Tractor trailer but now also in my car. I believe in my case the radio is kaput. This is my 4th radio in 11 years. If you offer a lifetime subscription the radio should work for at least 10 years before needing to be replaced.

06-17-2016, 02:06 PM #9
    Quote Originally Posted by rvrrunr View Post
    I have been getting a check antenna connection message also. At first only in my Tractor trailer but now also in my car. I believe in my case the radio is kaput. This is my 4th radio in 11 years. If you offer a lifetime subscription the radio should work for at least 10 years before needing to be replaced.
    For folks with lifetime subscriptions, keep in mind that your radios can possibly be repaired. You'll be without your radio for a week or 2 but it beats having to use up 1 of your 3 subscriptions. Something like "check antenna" typically means the pin connection on the bottom of the radio is messed up and is something that we can repair.