Page 25 of 32 ... 152324252627 ...
    Addict
    06-25-2015, 06:23 AM #241
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusBuzz View Post
    SiriusXM is a penny stock? The majority of the feedback we get on the website is from SIRI investors.
    Yes it was under $1 for almost a year back in 2009 and most stocks under $5 have an inordinate amount of penny stock traders involved. It just so happens with Sirius huge amount of shares outstanding and its 20 billion + market cap, instutions have gotten more involved in the stock. but here on this board - penny traders.

I sold in 2007.

It was my understanding, at the time, that it was the first time they lost cable subs in the companies history. Am I making that up? Maybe I misunderstood the articles I was reading at the time.
    So you sold in the teens or low $20 range in 2007? It's tripled since. It is over 60 now and at producing EBITDA and FCF at a tremendous rate. 60% higher EBITDA than Disney. Perhaps you should have studied the business closer.
    Last edited by MUSCLE13; 06-25-2015 at 06:47 AM.

Addict
    06-25-2015, 06:37 AM #242
    I said, where I live, Verizon is drinking Comcasts milkshake.

I dont think I'm making that up but, I suppose I could be. I wasn't trying to make anything up, I was simply making an observation.

What I do know is, fios just became available in my area and people around me started jumping ship from comcast. Those they aren't jumping ship are getting better rates (lower margins for comcast) because of the competition offered by fios.

Prior to Verizons arrival we had no other options and zero bargaining power.

Comcasts cable division looked a lot better when they had a complete monopoly on the most heavily populated areas in Massachusetts (and other states).
    So you don't acknowledge Verizon CEO's statements and their reduction in spending the last 5 years as they basically have completed their wireline buildout and do not plan new cities.

It's been nearly five years since Verizon decided to stop expanding its FiOS fiber network into new cities and towns, so this week's news won't come as a huge surprise: Verizon is nearing "the end" of its fiber construction and is reducing wireline capital expenditures while spending more on wireless.

"I have been pretty consistent with this in the fact that we will spend more CapEx in the Wireless side and we will continue to curtail CapEx on the Wireline side. Some of that is because we are getting to the end of our committed build around FiOS, penetration is getting higher," Verizon CFO Fran Shammo said yesterday in the Q4 2014 call with investors.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2015...f-fios-builds/

Just as Sirius is taking listeners from terrestrial radio, there is a similar secular shift from satellite TV back to cable because of cable broadband. Keep your eye on cable eating sat TV's lunch.
    Last edited by MUSCLE13; 06-25-2015 at 07:02 AM.

Addict
    06-25-2015, 06:39 AM #243
    Slacker offers ABC news, ESPN, and radio Disney.

I'm not comparing that to what SiriusXM offers, I'm just letting you know you can get non-music channels on other streaming services. It does exist.
    Does Slacker still exist? Last I saw it was 62 on the music app download list, 30 or 40 spots below Sirius, AND IT'S FREE???? How the heck can they make any money, when Pandora with 70 million free US users can't make any money? Quite a business that streaming music is......

http://appshopper.com/bestsellers/mu...?device=iphone
    Last edited by MUSCLE13; 06-25-2015 at 06:42 AM.

Addict
    06-25-2015, 09:38 AM #244
    Disney opened at all time highs this morning after the dividend announcement.

Also Variety projecting $50 million opening for Universal's (Comcast) Ted 2 this weekend. Minions next. Somebody tell me Comcast can't compete with Disney.....

“Ted 2’s” likely success continues Universal Pictures’ torrid streak at the multiplexes. With the year hovering at midpoint, the studio has already rolled out “Furious 7,” “Pitch Perfect 2,” “Fifty Shades of Grey” and “Jurassic World,” a box office Indominus rex that set new high-water marks for opening weekend receipts.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/bo...ng-1201527047/

Addict
    06-25-2015, 11:03 AM #245
    Merrill pounded the table on Comcast again this morning with their second quarter preview report. $84 target on blended 9.1 times 2016 EV/EBITDA.

......And just like that Comcast hit a new all time high again.
    Last edited by MUSCLE13; 06-25-2015 at 11:05 AM.

06-25-2015, 11:14 AM #246
    @SiriusBuzz... I like that Verizon is bringing fiber to the home but it's very very expensive for them to do it. It may explain why they slowed down the roll out of FIOS. AT&T does it a little different with Uverse. They rung fiber to s residential like Gateway and the use existing copper lines to the home. Eventually they will change the copper to fiber. We have Uverse and love it. ATT is kicking Time Warners butt here with UVERSE.

Addict
    06-25-2015, 11:31 AM #247
    Quote Originally Posted by midas360 View Post
    @SiriusBuzz... I like that Verizon is bringing fiber to the home but it's very very expensive for them to do it. It may explain why they slowed down the roll out of FIOS. AT&T does it a little different with Uverse. They rung fiber to s residential like Gateway and the use existing copper lines to the home. Eventually they will change the copper to fiber. We have Uverse and love it. ATT is kicking Time Warners butt here with UVERSE.
    Wait until Cable's DOCSIS 3.1 rolls out in 2016 and speeds increase to 2-3 Gigs with standard at 1Gig. Cable will kick Fibers ass and at minimal costs to Cable.
    Last edited by MUSCLE13; 06-25-2015 at 11:36 AM.

06-25-2015, 11:51 AM #248
    Too expensive Fiber is cheaper all the way around. Not from a roll out standpoint but pushing large amounts of data.

Addict
    06-25-2015, 12:10 PM #249
    Quote Originally Posted by midas360 View Post
    Too expensive Fiber is cheaper all the way around. Not from a roll out standpoint but pushing large amounts of data.
    You just said Verizon pulled back because it's too expensive and then you said Fiber is cheap all the way around. Do you know how expensive it is to dig up streets and wire neighborhoods? Cable's infrastructure is already built and has robust capacity for faster speeds than fiber. Just watch and learn. That is the reason Malone has been doing anything he can to get his hands on cable around the world. The minimal cost to increase the cable broadband speed as opposed to billions it costs for Fiber's rollout. Malone even explained his interest and the reasoning on CNBC 2 years ago when he bought into Charter.

Does anybody here do any research at all??? Comcast has increased broadband speeds 13 times in the last decade or so. You tell me the Fiber technology can keep up with Gigsaphere (DOCSIS 3.1) that's coming from Cable next year.
    Last edited by MUSCLE13; 06-25-2015 at 12:18 PM.

06-25-2015, 12:47 PM #250
    @Muscle... reread what I wrote. It's cheaper from "Not from a roll out stand point but pushing large amounts of data." It costs a lot of of money to run fiber to each and every home. This is the reason Verizon had to cut back on their FIOS rollout. As far as data transmission, Fiber is cheaper because the equipment needed to transmit the gigabyte speeds that you speak of is much less expensive than the equipment needed for DOCSIS 3.1. Go ahead and look it up if you don't believe me. And of course, they are still working and testing the modems for DOCSIS 3.1, correct? This won't be available until next year. As far as kicking Fiber's ass, I disagree. Equipment manufacturers will update their modems to take advantage of faster speeds.

Edit: Again, AT&T doesn't run fiber to the home yet. They run fiber to a residential gateway and then utilized the copper wire running to the homes. They can get 50mbps doing this and the speeds keep climbing too. I think this was most efficient and cost effective way.

Granted I do think it's great to see cable companies competing with telco's. Personally, I don't think the average consumer needs the 1-10gbps internet speeds. That's just my opinion though. Maybe down the road my opinion will change. I don't really see a big difference unless I am downloading a 2-4gb movie file and I want it downloaded ASAP.

I am with SiriusBuzz. I want to see "options." I want to be able to choose the best television/internet provider that best meets my needs for the best price. It's nice to see SB have options now.

@Muscle... there's plenty of room for the telco's and cable operators to compete and operate. The one thing that I hope doesn't happen is consolidation between the 2. Again, AT&T tried to do this back in the day and fail due to the economy and cost. I hope the new management doesn't get gungho and attempt it again.
    Last edited by midas360; 06-25-2015 at 12:57 PM.

Page 25 of 32 ... 152324252627 ...