05-01-2015, 05:00 PM #1

Using the factory sirius antenna with a portable unit

Hi Guys,
    Brand new here with my first question....I have a sirius portable unit, and have just acquired a truck that has built in sirius...including antenna. I want to utilize the built in antenna for my portable unit, and have found the antenna cable for the built in sirius radio. The problem is I cannot seem to remove it.....here's a pic of what I have....I have a feeling the red plastic piece has something to do with why it won't just unplug?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

05-01-2015, 10:14 PM #2
    Sorry guys.....I guess it would help if I had included the pics......sorry!Thompson-Nicola O (Lower North Thompson)-20150501-00211.jpg

05-03-2015, 02:17 PM #3
    So.....managed to remove Farka plug, but the remaining plug -in does not stay securely plugged into the portable unit. I think I need to change the connection from the straight plug to the right angle plug? My concern is that there is such a difference in the cable thickness from the factory installed antenna to the right angle plug.....is this a legitimate concern, or should I go ahead and cut and solder the right angle plug ?
    Any help appreciated.Two Plugs.jpg

Head Honcho
    05-05-2015, 08:43 PM #4
    I have heard of people handy with a soldering iron splice into the factory antenna but, as far as I know, there is no adapter on the market.

There are however adapters that allow you to hook your aftermarket unit into your factory fm radio antenna and that works great. They make them for all makes and models.

Hope that helps.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder