03-03-2015, 01:32 PM #1

Dreaded ANTENNA NOT DETECTED problem.

Hi Everyone,

I just started having the ANTENNA NOT DETECTED message on my Starmate 4. This install was completed just over a year ago. The antenna is mounted at the top of the windshield and the wire is completely hidden under the weather striping all the way into the car. I have swapped in my Sportster 5 and it gives the same message about the antenna so the troubleshooting points to the antenna or the dock itself.

I believe that the antenna is the issue as there is not much on the dock to go bad. My question is can I install the antenna inside the car on the dashboard? Does the antenna need to be mounted on a metal surface? I have had the same problem with the other four cars with outside antennas. In my Cadillac, I have the antenna on the dashboard on a metal speaker grill. This has been going strong on the same antenna for 4 years. I am sure that it is because the antenna is not exposed to the elements.

The Kia with the problem now does not have a metal grill on the dash to stick the antenna to. Is it necessary to have it mounted on a metal surface? If not, I am going to keep the next antenna in the vehicle.

Any ideas, suggestions, or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for the time and have a great day!

Respectfully,

George D.

Head Honcho
    03-03-2015, 07:23 PM #2
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoGoGo View Post
    I believe that the antenna is the issue as there is not much on the dock to go bad.
    The connection points on the dock can and do go bad. You can test by putting lateral pressure on the radio or antenna plug and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoGoGo View Post
    My question is can I install the antenna inside the car on the dashboard? Does the antenna need to be mounted on a metal surface?
    You can install it on the dashboard (metal is not required). It just needs a clear view of the sky to work. People have better luck in the rear behind the seats under the back window.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder