09-05-2008, 05:03 PM #1

Sirius Antenna ?? which one

I am installing a Sirius system in a new car and my wife doesn't want the antenna to show.. I ordered a mini- 1 1/4 x 1 1/4 inch Sirius / XM antenna off the INET Auction. The antenna is just the size I wanted, BUT.. the signal strength from it only registers 3 bars whereas the signal strength on the 2 1/4 inch round antenna that came with the Sportster 4 is max... Measurements taken on same receiver with identical antenna location. The smaller antenna says Delphi XM on it but the seller told me it was the same as Sirius and would work the same.. It doesn't.. Is it the smaller size that is causing the reduced signal strength or is it the fact that it is made for XM and I have been sold something that won't work as it should when connected to a Sirius Radio?

Enthusiast
    09-06-2008, 12:47 AM #2
    It is my understanding that an XM antenna will work but because of differences in design, will not as well as a real Sirius antenna of the same size. The Micro Dot (Round) antenna is considered to be be one of the better Sirius antennas. TSS-Radio sells a small square Sirius antenna. I had it at one point and it seemed almost as good as the micro dot antenna

http://www.tss-radio.com/sirius-squa...na-p-5154.html

Mentor
    10-18-2008, 05:04 PM #3
    Adony, you don't need to have a max signal. As long as you are getting a signal, there is no difference in sound quality. If it gets weak enough where it starts cutting out, that is a different story. 3 bars is plenty, but I bet it would go higher than that when driving around. One explanation could be slight differences in directional designs between them, so that they aim just a little bit different from one another...