Page 15 of 18 ... 51314151617 ...
    Mentor
    09-23-2014, 02:22 PM #141
    I am not an expert either, DM. Though it seems to be round 1 of an important decision going forward that has a lot of gray area. At some point the ultimate authority FED or State will need to be drilled down in no uncertain terms and move forward with clear guidelines. Bottom line, I am hoping that it will not affect SIRI as much as other music only services. Could be what causes consolidation in the industry as the smaller services will find it even more difficult to compete and will either go belly up or be taken over.
    Last edited by denco1; 09-23-2014 at 02:30 PM.

Guru
    09-23-2014, 02:58 PM #142
    Quote Originally Posted by denco1 View Post
    I am not an expert either, DM. Though it seems to be round 1 of an important decision going forward that has a lot of gray area. At some point the ultimate authority FED or State will need to be drilled down in no uncertain terms and move forward with clear guidelines. Bottom line, I am hoping that it will not affect SIRI as much as other music only services. Could be what causes consolidation in the industry as the smaller services will find it even more difficult to compete and will either go belly up or be taken over.

Yup this is gonna be interesting to see how this plays out. crazy stuff.

09-23-2014, 02:59 PM #143
    follow up article

General Music Radio Industry News
    Tuesday, September 23, 2014
    radioinfo | September 23, 2014
    floeddieCalifornia Judge Grants Flo & Eddie Summary Judgment in SiriusXM Pre-1972 Music Case. Legal experts and music industry watchers are busy speculating about the potentially far-reaching effects of U.S. District Judge Philip Gutierrez’s Monday ruling that grants summary judgment to Howard Kalyan and Mark Volman’s Flo & Eddie Inc. in its case charging SiriusXM with violating the public performance rules regarding their copyrighted music. Judge Gutierrez did not grant summary judgment on the matter of siriusxmwhether SiriusXM violated the reproduction rights of the copyright holders. Not only does the decision have potential dramatic financial implications for digital pure plays like Pandora, it shines a light on the complex and fragmented financial structure of the music industry, especially as it relates to broadcasting, in a time when the music industry is seeing dramatic dips in recording sales and broadcasters are complaining about already-too-high royalty rates. The case, in summary, goes like this: Flo & Eddie Inc, owner of the electronic performance copyright to music recorded by The Turtles in the late 1960s, argue that the pre-1972 exemption to U.S. copyright law for music recordings does not override state laws on such matters and therefore, in California, SiriusXM is in violation of public performance laws that govern copyrighted material. That Judge Gutierrez granted summary judgment is a shocker to the industry because, if the matter clears the appeal hurdle (we’re expecting SiriusXM to appeal the decision), this ruling will affect other non-AM/FM broadcasters – like the aforementioned digital pure plays – who do not have permission from copyright holders of pre-1972 recordings. And California is just one state. Cases are pending against SiriusXM in other states and Pandora is being challenged in New York by several record labels. Read the ruling here.

Mentor
    09-23-2014, 03:20 PM #144
    Thanks for the posts, Ibowa

Very gray area and only applicable in certain states that have guidelines so it seems as per your post. Higher courts will ultimately decide this one.

Mentor
    09-23-2014, 03:47 PM #145
    Here's another article on the ruling and the ruling itself.

https://gigaom.com/2014/09/23/in-big...72-recordings/

Addict
    09-23-2014, 04:00 PM #146
    U FCKINg PieCE of Sh!T

I bought @ 3.48 and 3.50 this morning. sold @ 3.57. I can't believe we fell back to 3.48..... I bought it but i'm not happy about it.

Why do we continue to do this to ourselves? there's something seriously wrong with us.
    Last edited by Wolf Child; 09-23-2014 at 04:03 PM.

Guru
    09-23-2014, 04:20 PM #147
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Child View Post
    U FCKINg PieCE of Sh!T

I bought @ 3.48 and 3.50 this morning. sold @ 3.57. I can't believe we fell back to 3.48..... I bought it but i'm not happy about it.

Why do we continue to do this to ourselves? there's something seriously wrong with us.
    With this lawsuit news leaking throughout the day i am not surprised at this drop.....quite frankly i cant believe we didn't dip to 3.37 - 3.42 price range.

Addict
    09-23-2014, 04:39 PM #148
    Time to unload all and buy back in a few years? Unload and say goodbye forever? Or just sit tight, ignore another pesky lawsuit, and just carry on as usual... If this was such a major game changing event, how is it possible that not one major news agency had published it? That is extremely bizarre. Especially in the case of Sirius. Something is very strange here. Doesn't seem possible to repress such information for most of an entire trading day.

Guru
    09-23-2014, 04:50 PM #149
    Quote Originally Posted by bdp. View Post
    Time to unload all and buy back in a few years? Unload and say goodbye forever? Or just sit tight, ignore another pesky lawsuit, and just carry on as usual... If this was such a major game changing event, how is it possible that not one major news agency had published it? That is extremely bizarre. Especially in the case of Sirius. Something is very strange here. Doesn't seem possible to repress such information for most of an entire trading day.
    Well its too early to tell if its a game changing event yet...although it is news im sure sirixm and its investors do not welcome. It is kinda crazy it didnt hit more news wires than it did i agree. I think SA came out with a piece today, cant recall. One thing i do know....is it just hit td ameritrade news wire at 4:36 pm.

Mentor
    09-23-2014, 06:00 PM #150
    Checked my billing history on my last 2 renewals of 1 year all access subscriptions. One in June and the most recent August of this year. MRF for both subs was $15.18 each for the year. According to the article on Scottrade email alerts, oldies songs are about 10-15% of total music. Last Q MRF expense was 200.22 mn for the Q2 from the 10Q report. Add 15% to that total and you get an MRF of roughly 230 mn if all oldies were included in the MRF. That translates to an additional $2.27 per year for me as a subscriber per sub and an additional 30 mn in MRF for SIRI in a Q which it will pass on to the customer.......if indeed the oldies do become part of the MRF.

EDIT: Relatively speaking, not big #s going forward if they are included. The bigger question is how far reaching for other services and business will this decision extend.
    Last edited by denco1; 09-23-2014 at 06:04 PM.

Page 15 of 18 ... 51314151617 ...