08-13-2014, 12:04 AM #1

Does SiriusXM know my listening location?

I am working on a legal paper about copyright. One of the points I am making turns on SiriusXM being unable to tell where a listener is receiving the signal. I think this is true, but I have been having trouble verifying it (or even figuring out how to verify it). I did find a site indicating that SiriusXM radios are strictly receivers, lacking the ability to transmit a signal back to the satellite that would allow this type of geolocation, but I wasn’t entirely convinced of its reliability. Can anybody help me verify that this is true?

Thanks!

Head Honcho
    08-13-2014, 04:29 PM #2
    That is true. The data is a one way street.

Im not sure the same can be said for the iOS app. I don't recall if it allows you to turn location on or off.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

09-27-2014, 06:00 AM #3
    Quote Originally Posted by sqary View Post
    I am working on this awesome review of HGH-X2 and a legal paper about copyright. One of the points I am making turns on SiriusXM being unable to tell where a listener is receiving the signal. I think this is true, but I have been having trouble verifying it (or even figuring out how to verify it). I did find a site indicating that SiriusXM radios are strictly receivers, lacking the ability to transmit a signal back to the satellite that would allow this type of geolocation, but I wasn’t entirely convinced of its reliability. Can anybody help me verify that this is true?

Thanks!
    You can turn your location off.
    Last edited by MalcomJ; 02-11-2022 at 08:11 AM.