Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pandora down 10% on earnings

So happy to hear Maffei finally agreeing with Meyer (and Mel I might add) in basically trashing the streaming music/internet radio business model. Finally. It makes me feel confident that they won't chase acquisitions in this unprofitable space and instead build complementary ip services on their own to enhance sub retention of their core sat subscribers. Very good to hear Maffei and Meyer address the streaming question today at the conference. I am sure Mel would have been even more aggressive in the trashing of internet radio business model but they both did fine.

Business models matter...................

As time goes on it is getting very obvious that streaming music is competing with music downloads and not with sat radio. As streaming goes up downloads are going down. Not so with sat radio.

Much like terrestrial radio in the car was basically unaffected by cd's and cassette players, which turned out to be basically complementary and not directly competitive, the same is happening with sat radio and streaming music.

Basically Sirius is competing with terrestrial radio, and Pandora and Spotify are competing with iTunes. The market is starting to realize this. The techies don't understand it, but educated investors do.

2/3 of Sirius subscribers are using internet music streaming services as well. Just like most terrestrial radio listeners used to buy records, cd's and cassette tapes.
    Last edited by MUSCLE13; Yesterday at 08:47 AM.

3. Ad Fairy Senior Member
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12