10-27-2013, 10:12 AM #1

Will any portable unit work on "top" of the dashboard?

New here-first post. background: Lifetime Sirius member with old starmate! Never thought I would trade cars, well wound up buying new car. If I transfer the subscription its 75 bucks plus since its a factory radio, no further transfers. Not sure if I will keep the car and if a lifetime Sirius adds much value.

So I thought of getting a portable unit like Stiletto or the x something or other by Audiovox or Pioneer makes one. Does anyone know if these will pick up the signal if placed on top of dash below windshield? I don't really want antenna wires and mounting magnetic antennas (I may also drive different cars). Should I even bother? The reviews were mixed, some say these things work with Sirius some say only XM, etc. I don't want a car dock, ideally just Bluetooth to the car receiver would be the best, like Lynx has but Lynx has no internal antenna. (I actually bought a Lynx thinking it would do that- even tech support said it had internal antenna-it does NOT) A portable receiver you could use while outside and then in any car I am driving with either fm modulator or Bluetooth or even usb would be ideal. Any product like that?

Head Honcho
    10-27-2013, 09:33 PM #2
    Is there no where in the car to hide a tiny thin antenna wire? If you're against putting the antenna on the outside of your car, the back of the car behind the rear seats and below the rear window usually gets good reception. It depends on the make of your car and the angles of your windows.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

10-27-2013, 10:57 PM #3

Answer:

Good question, hiding wires isn't this issue, its more convenience. I don't want to have to mount an antenna and connect everytime I want to change cars, we have 4 vehicles and I have a motorcycle also, wouldn't want to pay for all the extra radios and transfers. I just want a quick solution to take the radio with me in whatever vehicle I am driving. Plus hooking up a magnetic antenna, over time would it scratch the paint if constantly taking it off and replacing it?

Head Honcho
    10-28-2013, 02:30 AM #4
    Quote Originally Posted by bmyagoda View Post
    Plus hooking up a magnetic antenna, over time would it scratch the paint if constantly taking it off and replacing it?
    The idea is that you have a multiple bases and antennas for each vehicle. Then when you want to switch cars you just take receiver with you and plug it into the next vehicle.

I understand that just taking a mobile unit with you would be easier but, without a clear view of the sky reception isn't going to be great. Even the mobile stiletto has a car mount which includes an antenna. That said, I've never owned portable unit.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

05-16-2014, 01:30 AM #5
    I have a stiletto, antenna on dash. Quality of reception is not good. I am using solely for the NFL channel so this is ok with me. Music this method would be disappointing.