02-10-2014, 12:23 PM #1

Q about auto power adapter for a Stratus 6

Hi,

My Stratus 6, which I use in my car, is not turning on and it looks like it's the power adapter. The small green LED does light up but I don't see any voltage reading from the tip of the adapter.

I've done some searching around and see that my current adapter is referred to as "Power Connect", has a red tip, and there is something about the design that helps it work through my FM radio (which is how I have to do it). I was hoping that I could get any generic 5V adapter that had the correct tip size and polarity, but now I'm not so sure. I did see this thread here: http://siriusbuzz.com/forum/showthre...cord-nightmare which seems to indicate that any adapter will work, however this person may be connecting his audio directly. I'd like to make sure I get the correct adapter. Any advice appreciated, thanks!

Head Honcho
    02-10-2014, 03:33 PM #2
    This power cord actually transmits the signal to your radio. If this is the method you are using, this is the power adapter you need.

Hope this helps!
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

02-10-2014, 04:58 PM #3
    Thanks for the quick reply! I did some more reading about the PowerConnect feature. I always assumed the FM transmitter was in the body of the radio or dock itself and just transmitting throughout my car. I was constantly having to switch frequencies as I drove my regular morning route. It doesn't seem like I gained much from this PowerConnect feature. Thanks for the info, at least I can be sure that I'll get the correct adapter now.

Head Honcho
    02-10-2014, 05:13 PM #4
    You should consider an adapter that plugs directly into your antenna wire, they are awesome. It plugs into the back of your radio or, if you're like me, right behind the glovebox where the antenna wire plugs into the wire that goes to the radio... no more switching frequencies!
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

02-12-2014, 05:06 PM #5
    Charles, sorry for the delayed response. I had absolutely no idea about this "direct" adapter until now, and I've only had Sirius since October of 2005 !! My Stratus dock does have an "FM out" jack so it looks like I can use this. My only concern is to make sure I have the regular Motorola antenna jack on my radio, and that there's enough length on the direct adapter cable to reach it. I have an old Camry with the custom JBL system (AM/FM, cassette & CD). Getting the radio out is easy, so assuming the cable length & jack are correct, I'm about to (hopefully!) experience static-free satellite radio for the first time!

I assume that as far as the power adapter, If I have the FM direct cable I can now use ANY generic auto adapter with the correct voltage, current rating and, tip size & polarity, right? Thanks for your help!

Head Honcho
    02-12-2014, 05:47 PM #6
    Quote Originally Posted by reezekeys View Post
    My only concern is to make sure I have the regular Motorola antenna jack on my radio, and that there's enough length on the direct adapter cable to reach it.
    I'm pretty sure you do. I don't remember toyotas requiring any kind of special adapter. That said, its easily verified.

Here is the SiriusXM FM direct adapter cheap on amazon.

Getting the radio out is easy,
    Judging by this statement, I'm confident you'll get this done. I'm always hesitant to suggest the FM adapter because not everyone is handy when it comes to cars.

I assume that as far as the power adapter, If I have the FM direct cable I can now use ANY generic auto adapter with the correct voltage, current rating and, tip size & polarity, right? Thanks for your help!
    Correct.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

02-12-2014, 09:30 PM #7
    Thanks Charles. I found an even cheaper FM Direct cable, $7. Anything look weird with this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sirius-XM-Di...-/121060350642

The Sirius unit seems to have a relay or something that switches the radio's antenna input to the regular antenna when the Sirius radio is off. The Ebay piece looks more like a simple merger. But if it works OK I can save a few pennies.

Head Honcho
    02-12-2014, 11:07 PM #8
    I've never heard of anyone using this specific model but, this guy seems to have sold quite a few. Report back and let us know how it works.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder