12-26-2014, 07:05 PM #1

xm home based unit fades in and out

i have been an xm subscriber for over 10 years. i listen to xm all day in my shop, and up until just recently, i never had any signal problems. then, my old delphi xm2go started having issues, (including fade out). so i got a new basic unit from xm. i got a new antenna, which i installed on the roof of my shop. i got the satellite coordinates online, and mounted and aimed the antenna right on the spot. i live in ohio, in a rural area. i have a 100% clear, uninterupted views of the southern sky, with no other structures within a quarter mile. no trees, just a clear shot to the satellite. so my question is.....why the heck does this thing fade in and out all day long. it is almost un -listenable for long periods every day? dont tell me to call tech support. i have done that several times and they wouldnt know their antenna from a tennis racquette. and no one that i ever talked to speaks clear english. my entire system is brand new. i never had this problem till just the last few months. i dont want to, but is there a signal booster that i could purchase that would help. anyone else had to resort to this. thanks for your help.

12-27-2014, 11:24 AM #2
    Could it be there are people in your area using microwave ovens and other electronics that might block the signal from time to time in which case you might have to go the streaming audio route via your compter in order to get a better signal.
    Last edited by hwkn; 12-27-2014 at 12:53 PM.

Head Honcho
    12-28-2014, 01:06 AM #3
    +1 on streaming via the app. Thats what I have always done from work. Your signal is guaranteed... when the service is working.

As for what is going on with your signal... something new has happened in your area. Maybe a new building went up. Maybe some kind of new competing signal. Or maybe there used to be a repeater in your area that they shut down?

They do make stronger antennas for home/marine use that you might want to look into but, I would go the streaming route.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

01-04-2015, 12:05 PM #4
    found the problem. it had nothing to do with the antenna, or reception. after a series of trial and error substitutions with old xm parts and equipment, the problem turned out to be a faulty power unit. obviously, the unit was not supplying the correct amount of power to the reciever. swithed it out, and everything works just fine. maybe this will help some other folks.

Head Honcho
    01-04-2015, 05:12 PM #5
    Thank you so much for coming back to share your solution. I'm sure it will help others!
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder