Page 1 of 2 12
    10-28-2013, 09:16 AM #1

Starting Vehicle Kills Satellite Signal.

I have an interesting problem that i have been unable to find any help with. After installing my Starmate 8 in my 99 Suburban, I get a full meter on the satellite signal meter as long as the vehicle isn't running. As soon as I crank the truck, the signal drops to one bar and then steadily bounces every 1 second between 1 and 3 bars of signal. Back and forth, back and forth and the audio cuts in and out naturally because of the signal drop. As soon as I kill the engine, the signal goes back to full strength. Any clue??? IT'S DRIVING ME NUTS!

Head Honcho
    10-28-2013, 11:15 AM #2
    Is this antenna run/placed near any other kinds of antennas? I know that placing a satellite radio antenna near another antenna can cause interference and since you're only seeing this issue with the car started, it seems to fit.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

10-28-2013, 12:20 PM #3
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusBuzz View Post
    Is this antenna run/placed near any other kinds of antennas? I know that placing a satellite radio antenna near another antenna can cause interference and since you're only seeing this issue with the car started, it seems to fit.
    Only the radio antenna. Shouldn't be a problem.

Head Honcho
    10-28-2013, 05:04 PM #4
    It very well could be the problem. The satellite radio antenna should not be placed near any other antenna.

Good thing its easy to test -- just temporarily move the satellite radio antenna few feet away from its current location and start the car.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

10-29-2013, 06:59 AM #5
    It very well could be the problem. The satellite radio antenna should not be placed near any other antenna.

Good thing its easy to test -- just temporarily move the satellite radio antenna few feet away from its current location and start the car.
    I would doubt it since it works perfectly with the car off and with the key just in acc position.

Head Honcho
    10-29-2013, 03:38 PM #6
    I wouldn't doubt it.

Once your turn that key and start the car the interference caused by the increase in power from the alternator can do strange things. Fortunately, it only takes 2 seconds to move the antenna.

With this newly added information you provided about on vs. acc, I would make sure the antenna wire isn't running near any major power lines. You always want to run any kind of antenna and audio input as far from power lines as possible.

What year suburban? Do you hear any wine coming through your speakers when you rev the engine?
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

10-29-2013, 03:44 PM #7
    I wouldn't doubt it.

Once your turn that key and start the car the interference caused by the increase in power from the alternator can do strange things. Fortunately, it only takes 2 seconds to move the antenna.

With this newly added information you provided about on vs. acc, I would make sure the antenna wire isn't running near any major power lines. You always want to run any kind of antenna and audio input as far from power lines as possible.

What year suburban? Do you hear any wine coming through your speakers when you rev the engine?
    Since my earlier e-mail, I've already moved the antenna to the back of the suburban with the same results.

It's a 99. I hear no issues at all in reception with engine on or off, just that when the engine is on the signal drops and bounces causing the audio to clip in and out.

Head Honcho
    10-29-2013, 04:16 PM #8
    You have to ask yourself what changes with the car running. The most obvious change is the increase in power from the alternator. With the car being 14 years old, maybe your grounds have gone bad. Im guessing there is some rust kicking around and your grounds are the first thing to fail.

Any aftermarket lights or stereos running on that beast? Again, I would look for power lines near the antenna.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

10-31-2013, 11:37 AM #9
    Well I had the opportunity to completely disconnect the alternator yesterday and crank the truck. The issue remains.

Yes this is an aftermarket (brand new) Kenwood I am trying to run it through

Head Honcho
    10-31-2013, 01:06 PM #10
    So, it works perfectly with the key in the acc position... does it work perfectly with the key in the on position without starting the truck?
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Page 1 of 2 12