08-24-2013, 12:45 AM #1

Kenwood KCA r70

Hello, all. Two years ago when my father passed away I inherited his car which also included a Kenwood KCA r70 that was connected to a Sirius Radio lifetime membership. When I recently bought a new car that had HD radio, it was not worth transferring the radio device to that car obviously, but I did have the dealer take out the radio. Now I have the radio with other accessories with a bunch of wires and I'm trying to figure out what to do with it-- ideally if I can find a boombox that included this (likely discontinued if it exists) or some other method to utilize it--ideally in a portable method but as a last resort I can use it with my 1990s stereo system. I know this was not like Skyfis and similar products that were as user friendly as a detach and retach anywhere, but do you know what's out there I can already use or should I ask RadioShack or Fry's for assistance?

Thanks so much for any advice,

Norman

Head Honcho
    08-24-2013, 01:24 PM #2
    The Kenwood KCA r70 is so old I cant even find what it is or what it looks like or what it does by searching Google.

What I do know is, if the lifetime was your fathers, you will not be able to transfer it unless you can call SiriusXM and pretend to be him and know everything about the account.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

08-25-2013, 02:59 PM #3
    I sent a reply, but I guess it did not go through. The device and details can be found here: http://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-Sirius.../dp/B00007M25H

I am not planning to transfer the membership (wish that I could as I'm enjoying the first year free subscription of XM/Sirius radio in my car, for now). I just want to be able to utilize the device. When I contacted Sirius/XM support when I discovered the car had the radio (didn't even know it was there the first year I had the car as it was "hidden" in front of the moon roof devices in this little slot/compartment), they let me know yes the device had a lifetime membership and it lasts as long as the device (which explained as my sister was getting all forwarding mail for my father why she didn't receive any bills from them). I just want to know if there's anything I can do with the device as it will not be in an automobile, anymore.

Norman
    Last edited by waldnorm; 08-25-2013 at 03:39 PM.

Head Honcho
    08-27-2013, 10:30 AM #4
    I checked out the manual and it looks like that little receiver is just the interface for the Kenwood Music Keg so the KCA-R70FM is useless on its own. Since the only way to run the system would be to hook up the rest of the Music Keg tuner/brain and the only place you can hook up the components that require DC current is in a car, I would say that is your only option.

The lifetime subscription isn't in that little FM receiver, its in the Sirius satellite tuner that the receiver controls.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

08-27-2013, 11:30 PM #5
    Ah, I have that tuner (I have all parts attached with that front end). Is there something that can be done with the tuner? Is it still dependent with a car (due to the DC current)? Is there such a thing as a switch translator?

Head Honcho
    08-28-2013, 08:39 AM #6
    I suppose you could get yourself an AC to DC converter and setup the whole system just like it would have been setup in your car. Its possible, just not practical.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder