Page 2 of 2 12
    Enthusiast
    08-24-2008, 12:28 PM #11
    Very Interesting. Newman where did you find this information? Can you point me to it? Don't tell me its on the SIRI Corporate website.

Mentor
    08-24-2008, 03:58 PM #12
    It is my beleif of how things will work. There is no way the combined comapny can realize all of the synergies until the Sirius radios are no longer used, and all broadcasting is done over the XM signal utilizing the AAC+ compression technology due to the superior sound quality and better compression techniques. Once this is possible, the Sirius portion of the spectrum can continue to be developed for Sirius Backseat and what ever else they want to do.

Enthusiast
    08-24-2008, 10:47 PM #13

New Find

On the SIRIUS website there is something new. There is a colorful badge that reads: SIRIUS GUARANTEE - None of our radios will become obsolete as a result of the merger. Of course, obsolescence will come at some point for other reasons. If it is managed to the satisfaction of customers, then all is well.

There is no such claim on the XM website.

08-25-2008, 10:13 AM #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post
    It is my beleif of how things will work. There is no way the combined comapny can realize all of the synergies until the Sirius radios are no longer used, and all broadcasting is done over the XM signal utilizing the AAC+ compression technology due to the superior sound quality and better compression techniques. Once this is possible, the Sirius portion of the spectrum can continue to be developed for Sirius Backseat and what ever else they want to do.

I am in complete agreement with this. The problem is that every new radio sold now is a problem. The company needs to start on this as soon as possible.

Mentor
    08-25-2008, 11:01 AM #15
    Agreed Pinball.

I think you will start to see a lot more XM radios being pushed over Sirius. In fact, I think Sirius partners (Ford, etc) may even start to factory install XM radios instead of Sirius. It is more about the compression techniques than anything else, and XM's is far superior.

Enthusiast
    08-25-2008, 12:33 PM #16

Some Abstract Thinking

Interesting, too that XM has the higher tech smart card size radio while SIRIUS does not. And at the retail level SIRIUS has the consumer GUARANTEE against obsolescence while XM does not. The GUARANTEE works to help direct retail customers to the SIRUS products and away from the XM. Guarantee provides Reenforcement.

For now, it seems that Mel wants SIRIUS hardware to dominate and control the retail end. It is now the dominant brand (even though it offers lower tech hardware and lower tech system funtionality). Meanwhile, higher tech XM radios will begin to replace SIRI radios at the OEM level.

This makes sense. OEM and retail are two different animals right now. OEM should be the first segment to begin the changeover to the improved XM system. You don't want to upset the apple cart by encouraging customers at the retail level to now switch to the XM radios. SIRIUS is the brand name and is "the one with Howard Stern".

Logic implies that the next round of OEM systems will be labelled SIRIUS/XM, but they will be XM radios on XM satellites with XM programming plus ala carte SIRIUS or best of programming available to the new car purchaser.

The next big retail push will facilitate the sell off of existing inventories of SIRIUS radios at the retail level. Retail Customers will now naturally gravitate toward SIRIUS radios. What will become of the retail XM radios? They will be blown out at bargain basement prices.

This is all based on educated guessing. I could be wrong.

Enthusiast
    08-26-2008, 09:21 PM #17

Smile Who Turned Out The Lights?

Where did everyone go? Could I get a critique on my thesis? Sombody tell me I'm out in left field or if they think I'm nuts.

08-26-2008, 10:17 PM #18
    Quote Originally Posted by deewcom View Post
    OEM should be the first segment to begin the changeover
    Yes, yes, yes. You are right & this is urgent. It is relatively easy to swap out portable radios in a few years if we have to. OTOH a radio in a vehicle is a real problem.

Also IMO it is critical to get Howard on XM ASAP. We still have the problem of consumer confusion about which service to buy. I don't believe we can quickly handle the baseball/football confusion but we ought to get rid of the Stern confusion quickly. We need to be able to say that any radio that you buy can receive Howard.
    Last edited by Pinball Wizard; 08-26-2008 at 10:22 PM.

Enthusiast
    08-27-2008, 01:02 AM #19

Stern = Goldmine

Absolutely, Bro. Got to make it easy for the people to get Stern as quickly as possible. There's gold in them hills. 10 million current XM suscribers are a potential gold mine for add-on Howard Stern. Damn stock is taking a real beating.

Comments are a little light here since "john" quit posting. I wish he'd come back. Did he start his own blog?

Page 2 of 2 12