08-26-2008, 01:12 PM #1

Radio died, Looking for options....

Greetings folks, my old Audiovox radio quit last week, and I would like to get a new radio. I have had the radio for 6 years.

My requirements are simple:

1. I would like to easilly move the radio between 3 cars.
    2. I like large easy to read displays.

I am looking for suggestions on radios, car kits and alike to get this done. Also suggestions on good vendors for these products would be great as well. Also how do I work this with Sirius Do I just need to give them a new serial number ?

Banned
    08-26-2008, 02:42 PM #2
    I saw an ad right here on siriusbuzz for TSS radio.

It was a refurbished sportster model (probably had the fm transmitter reduced) for 69 bucks.

I would recommend this route because with the new radios coming out soon, your dollar might be better spent on a newer model.

Also, if you call sirius they can suspend your subscription so you are not paying for nothing. When my sons radio's antenna wire got cut, they did that for me and also sent me a free replacement antenna...who knows, they may offer you a deal you can't refuse....You may want to start there.

Enthusiast
    08-27-2008, 01:52 AM #3
    Your best strategy would depend on whether you had a lot of money tied up in accessories, e.g. docks for three cars, for your old radio. If that is the case, you might be better off getting your same radio off of Ebay. This might also be a good strategy, if you feel that there are features you might want on the soon and not so soon to be released radios, e.g. ala carte and interoperable radios.

As far as current lineup, for the car, I like the Starmate 4 . It has a bright display, that is easy to read with my 45 year old eyes. It uses the universal dock. The sound quality is excellent.

If I only could have one radio it would be a Stiletto. It's good in the car, excellent at home (wi-fi). Screen is pretty but a little difficult to see in bright light. My only concern with the Stiletto is I think it is more delicate than the plug and play models.

As far as vendors, look for what's on sale at Best Buy, Circuit Cit, etc. I got my Starmate 4 on sale for $75. at CC. Also, give TSS-Radio.com a look.

Once you get the new radio, you will have to call Sirius and give them the new number, and likely pay a $15 fee. They will sometimes waive this
    Last edited by James; 08-27-2008 at 01:55 AM.

08-28-2008, 12:41 PM #4
    Greetings folks, thanks for the advice... I have no accessories for the radio... What's the deal with the "new radios" ? When will they be available, what makes them better etc ?

Enthusiast
    08-28-2008, 02:31 PM #5
    Within a few months ala carte radios will be available. With them, you will be able to pick 50 channels for $6.99 from either Sirius or XM. In nine months or so interoperable radios will be available which will be able to receive Sirius and/or XM. What is not known is whether you will be able to get ala carte service across platforms.

Whether this will effect you will depend upon what your listening habits are. I listen almost exclusively to a dozen music stations (Mostly First Wave) and ocassionally Fox News, CNBC and when available on Sirius, FOX Business. In theory, I could get away with an interoperable ala carte plan of 50 channels. Assuming most of the commom music channels merged, I would still like to pick up XM's Standards, Cinemagic, 40's Channel and a few other niche stations (if they still exist).

Enthusiast
    08-28-2008, 03:34 PM #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Matthews View Post
    Also, if you call sirius they can suspend your subscription so you are not paying for nothing.
    Assuming the simultaneous death of my Starmate 4, Stiletto 100 and spare Stiletto 100, I would go out and get an INV. Do you think I'm addicted?

Actually, you are right. He should call them and feel them out to see if they will give him a free unit. Considering he is a six year subscriber you would think they would want to give him a free one or a discount on something. Doesn't mean they will but couldn't hurt to ask.
    Last edited by James; 08-28-2008 at 03:39 PM.

08-28-2008, 04:05 PM #7
    Sirius will give him a free radio or at least a real good deal
    I bought a stiletto 100 from sirius ,tried it for a month..............
    called sirius to tell them to cancel the stiletto,they asked why,I told them i was having trouble recording on it and thats why i wanted it in the first place
    They sent me an executive dock for free(this thing is awesome!)not even shipping.
    Also gave me three months free service,already have a starmate 4
    with lifetime sub.
    I hear some sirius horror stories on these boards but i cant say enough
    about the customer service i received,

08-29-2008, 04:07 PM #8
    Quote Originally Posted by drfreeman View Post
    Sirius will give him a free radio or at least a real good deal
    I bought a stiletto 100 from sirius ,tried it for a month..............
    called sirius to tell them to cancel the stiletto,they asked why,I told them i was having trouble recording on it and thats why i wanted it in the first place
    They sent me an executive dock for free(this thing is awesome!)not even shipping.
    Also gave me three months free service,already have a starmate 4
    with lifetime sub.
    I hear some sirius horror stories on these boards but i cant say enough
    about the customer service i received,
    WOW you guys are great ! I Just got off the phone with the folks at Sirius, and you are correct, they set me up with a new Stratus 4, with the car kit, plus 3 months credit on my account, and an additional $30 gift card that when I receive the radio I will be able to call them and apply that to my account as well... And all of the above for a penny ! Jeese, my radio should fail more often ! I know the Stratus 4 is not a top line radio, but it beats my dead Audiovox PNP2...

Now I just need to get some additional car kits and I will be stylin !