06-07-2013, 12:05 PM #1

Trouble with signal in office location

My office location recently moved to a brand new building with tinted glass windows. There is nothing blocking the window view (no surrounding buidlings, really open area). I have the antenna for the SirusXM Portable Speaker Dock directly pointed to the windows (my desk is about 45ft from the actual window) without any obstructions. I am unable to get a signal at my desk location. I'm even having issues getting a signal when I place the antenna directly on the window ledge. I talked to Sirus Customer Support and they said the issue is with the tinted glass. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get a signal in my new location? Is there a "stronger" antenna I can purchase? A booster? I hate to waste the money on the dock if I can't use it at my office.

Thanks
    Jody

Head Honcho
    06-07-2013, 10:22 PM #2
    Do you have a computer? iPad? iPhone? Listen online!

When I was in college, I used to use one of the windshield suction cup car mounts on the outside of my apartment window to get reception. Put the antenna outside, problem solved.

BTW, it might just be that your window is not facing towards the satellite, having a clear view out a window only works if the satellite is pointing in that window. As you probably know, the waves do not work like typical radio waves.

Hope this helps.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

06-08-2013, 10:19 AM #3
    The company I work for won't allow it's employees to go online and listen to music, they monitor it very closely. I even searched for a wireless network that I can "borrow" to access it online but in the area i'm located, they are all secured networks. I don't own any apple products, but I'll assume since all the networks are secured, even if I just purchased an ipad, it still won't help me

The other issue is the windows do not open up at all. The windows are facing the southern portion of the sky (I'm in PA) and I did receive the signal in my previous office location facing the same direction, but since I moved, I can't get anything.

Any other ideas?

Head Honcho
    06-08-2013, 03:01 PM #4
    I know you're looking for some kind of super antenna but, since you cant get the antenna outside, not even one of these whole house or marine grade antennas is going to help you.

Are you looking to listen to music or talk? You could always download your favorite talk shows at home with the online app and then listen to them at work without the need for internet access. This would obviously require some kind of iOS or Android device.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

06-08-2013, 05:09 PM #5
    I would say it's more music than talk. I do have a Android phone but if I download the SirusXM app, won't that eat up my data plan?

Head Honcho
    06-08-2013, 08:00 PM #6
    Does your android phone work on wi-fi? If you download shows while you are on a wi-fi connection, it will not count against your data plan.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

06-10-2013, 09:53 PM #7
    Where can I go to download the shows?

Head Honcho
    06-11-2013, 12:39 AM #8
    At the bottom of the app there is a tab/button labeled "shows & on demand."
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder