04-11-2013, 02:31 AM #1

XM SNAP - Works in heat?

I was all set to buy a XM Snap for a new vehicle. The closed center console box has aux and power port, so I was just going to hide it away in there since I'm always on one channel 90 percent of the time. No need to see anything.

However, I have read a couple reviews that the unit fails to operate in hot temperatures. I live in a fairly high temperature area, so I was a bit concerned.

Has anyone used the XN Snap without problem in high temperature locations?

Thanks!

Head Honcho
    04-11-2013, 11:49 AM #2
    I have no experience with the XM Snap but, what I can tell you is, electronics do not like extreme heat and cold.

Do you typically leave your car parked in the sun at home or work? If not, you'll be fine. If you do, just bring it in with you on super hot days. The fact that you're not leaving the unit directly in the sun sitting on the dashboard will likely be your saving grace.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

04-11-2013, 01:58 PM #3
    Thanks SiriusBuzz, yes this car will be in the sun a bit more often. I guess I can give it a try. I just hate to pay another activation fee if I end up having to replace it in a few months.

My Stratus 4 on Sirius (knock on wood haha) is 4.5 years old and bakes everyday though it's not in a particularly sunny part of car.

Head Honcho
    04-11-2013, 02:36 PM #4
    Quote Originally Posted by r171mb View Post
    I just hate to pay another activation fee if I end up having to replace it in a few months.
    They will not hit you with a reactivation fee if there is hardware failure. Just tell them what happened and ask nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by r171mb View Post
    My Stratus 4 on Sirius (knock on wood haha) is 4.5 years old and bakes everyday though it's not in a particularly sunny part of car.
    I have a sportster 3 that bakes in a black car and sees pretty cold New England temps and its 7 years old. That said, even though the car sits in the sun, the unit is hidden from the rays. Im guessing that alone helps.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Mentor
    04-11-2013, 07:11 PM #5
    r171mb

If you have an Iphone...cant go wrong with a sky dock...I live in San Antonio with temps at or near 100 during the summer...have had my skydock for 21/2 years now...no problems...and...it keeps my Iphone charged at the same time! Also, the snap in the console would probably be fine...not in direct sun!!

BTW...buy and extra antennae...and use the skydock/snap(i think) in another vehicle...as simple... as unplug...plug...and go!!

JS