04-04-2013, 08:09 AM #1

SCH1P2 or RS232 cable for SCH1?

I just bought a SCH1 tuner and intended to hook it up to my home automation system. The only problem is that I cannot find the proprietary RS232 cable for it. I see that they do sell a separate package with the cable and tuner called the SCH1P2 but I can't find that anywhere either! Anyone have any pointers on this? Thanks.

Head Honcho
    04-04-2013, 11:28 AM #2
    As far as I know, the RS232 cable you need is a standardized cable (hence RS232). That means you can pick up a cable anywhere, it does not have to be a Sirius product. I'm guessing Radio Shack would have 8 pin DIN cables like that or you could check out what Amazon has here.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

04-04-2013, 11:48 AM #3
    Thanks for the reply. According to the documentation (http://www.siriusretail.com/pdf/manu...tion_Guide.pdf) this unfortunately is not a standard cable. It actually includes a power injector and separate (from the unit) line outs. It is possible that when the DIN is used it inactivates the existing power in, and line out on the unit. I have seen some older posts from 2009 from someone who tried to adapt the 8 pin DIN to RS232 using standard cables and was not successful. If anyone knows for a fact or can shed light on where to get the required cable - please let me know. Thanks.

Head Honcho
    04-04-2013, 12:56 PM #4
    Interesting. Did you try TSS-Radio? If they dont have it, they know how to get it.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

04-04-2013, 01:09 PM #5
    Thanks, that was the first place I looked. I called Sirius - tech support in India and they were doing the same thing I was doing - looking at the Sirius web site. After some teeth pulling I was able to determine, I think, that the SCH1P2 is discontinued and there is no way to get the RS232 cable separately. I will email TSS directly to see if they can provide add any light to the situation. It looks the unit is going back at present.

Head Honcho
    04-04-2013, 02:52 PM #6
    Those guys at TSS are usually really good with personal email questions.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

04-04-2013, 04:18 PM #7
    I gave them a call. They had all of the parts. Ironically, they also had an old XMPCR new in box that they said name your price! Being that my HA system has a native driver for this I told them to send it out - at least I have that as a backup if the SHC1 doesn't work out.

Head Honcho
    04-04-2013, 05:42 PM #8
    Yeah those guys are REALLY good. I'm glad things worked out for you, thanks for sharing the info with future forum visitors.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder