Page 1 of 2 12
    Guru
    10-26-2008, 08:07 PM #1

Merged Bandwidth potential uses?

In the recent interview with autoline Mel mentions only using 145 channels for sirius xm satellite radio and therefore only using half the bandwidth.

Any thoughts of what new things they could offer on the unused bandwidth after a complete merge takes place?

They already cram in GPS and some data service...maybe they expand to email, calendars...digital phone service like onstar? Internet?? thoughts?

10-26-2008, 09:10 PM #2

TV

I know that Mel said he wasn't too interested in TV but I would add it to my subscription immediately. I know they have the TV capability already as they are broadcasting Disney, Nickelodeon and I believe Cartoon Network so adding a few channels for adults would be sweet.

All of the ideas you put forth are great.

Banned
    10-26-2008, 09:39 PM #3
    I say they use some of the additional bandwidth for pushing commercial content to free sub radios. They inject the commercials at regular intervals. Those who won't pay for it, give it for free, and get the advertising dollars.

Head Honcho
    10-26-2008, 09:50 PM #4

bandwidth

At some point when both systems are finally able to merge, the company will have the ability to do many things. Don't forget that they are giving up "free minority channels" based on the number of channels they offer. For this reason, I would not look for much more than 145 channels.

I see them delivering better sound quality. Offering "onstar" like services such opening a locked car, etc. Perhaps some more video and data.

As technology develops, they may do much more on the net than through the satellites. On the net, they can offer as many channels as they want without worry about supporting the freebies. If the net gets to the car, this could be huge.
    Tyler Savery
    Satellite Standard Founder

10-26-2008, 10:13 PM #5
    Tyler or anyone else,

Please explain how communicating/transferring things over the net would have an advantage over doing the same through satellites.

If I'm driving from the west coast to the east coast for instance, like many truckers do, how would I be able to get signal via net when I'm in the middle of B.F.E?

I personally drive back and forth between a couple of states for business and if I didn't have satellite radio I would be S.O.L. for news/entertainment.

Enthusiast
    10-26-2008, 10:32 PM #6
    How about some live video from the Stern show on a Stiletto.

Guru
    10-27-2008, 08:37 AM #7
    Quote Originally Posted by spanyo View Post
    How about some live video from the Stern show on a Stiletto.
    i thought about something like this. maybe music videos.

I think a key point he mentioned was compression technology. They may be able to send the audio a different way and save more bandwidth.

Sounded like he said the "0s" and "1s" take up very little room in the bandwidth for gps. other data information would be the same.

Head Honcho
    10-27-2008, 12:46 PM #8

advantage

Quote Originally Posted by GetItStraight View Post
    Tyler or anyone else,

Please explain how communicating/transferring things over the net would have an advantage over doing the same through satellites.

If I'm driving from the west coast to the east coast for instance, like many truckers do, how would I be able to get signal via net when I'm in the middle of B.F.E?

I personally drive back and forth between a couple of states for business and if I didn't have satellite radio I would be S.O.L. for news/entertainment.
    Currently the advantage is not here. At some point (if the net becomes widely available), the company can make offerings on the net that would supplement the satellite delivered options.
    Tyler Savery
    Satellite Standard Founder

Enthusiast
    10-28-2008, 01:32 AM #9
    Content on demand will be here in the not so distant future. Cellular for the uplink sat for delivery!

Guru
    10-28-2008, 12:55 PM #10
    Quote Originally Posted by hartleib1 View Post
    Content on demand will be here in the not so distant future. Cellular for the uplink sat for delivery!
    ah yes, thank you very much.

Page 1 of 2 12