Page 2 of 2 12
    Head Honcho
    03-27-2013, 05:14 PM #11
    Does anyone think that if marijuana was deemed universally legal that big business would be best positioned to dominate the marketplace? Why wouldn't someone like Philip Morris just come in and crush the little guys and independent growers?

If this has already been discussed, I apologize -- I have only recently begun to think about the green play.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Addict
    03-27-2013, 06:15 PM #12
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusBuzz View Post
    Does anyone think that if marijuana was deemed universally legal that big business would be best positioned to dominate the marketplace? Why wouldn't someone like Philip Morris just come in and crush the little guys and independent growers?

If this has already been discussed, I apologize -- I have only recently begun to think about the green play.
    Charles, I have no clue as to how to respond directly to your question. I do however, like your reference to Philip Morris since I own a boatload of that one. Anything to help pump PM up will be appreciated. Thanks.

Head Honcho
    03-27-2013, 06:37 PM #13
    PM was obviously just an example. I think there are a few big companies that could do it.

Its a crop so, you have to ask yourself, who best positioned to grow it? It can be rolled and packaged so, who has the machinery to do that?

If it is treated more like medication than cigarettes, wouldn't big pharma get into the mix?

My point in general is, there is a lot of money to be made in the industry so, shouldn't big business already be planning for this behind closed doors?

Maybe big business buys out the little guys if/when things become mainstream 100% legal? Just thinking out loud.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

03-27-2013, 08:33 PM #14
    Charles,
    Interesting you bring that up. I also have been wondering who will ultimately make cash with this industry? I believe those the have the advantage would be pharmaceutical, alcohol, tobacco to name a few.

03-27-2013, 09:59 PM #15
    Charles, I do think the possibility of marijuana becoming legal is getting the attention of big business. Some of the big boys are surly looking at this as a great opportunity, while others might feel they have reason to be concerned. So many different products can be made from this plant. Food, fabric (stronger than cotton), paper, oil, plastic (thats not plastic) and beer. It's going to be fun to watch it all unfold. Oh yeah, you can even smoke it. I would like to think that big tobacco will keep their hands off. Not good for the image of pot. ......... Their is one way I could see big tobacco taking over. If tobacco becomes illegal.......... peace.

03-27-2013, 10:22 PM #16
    One thing to remember... for large companies like RJR and others to get into the marijuana business, they would have to change the laws not only at the state level but the federal level too. What's going on with the federal marijuana law? It's still illegal across all 50 states at the fed level, right?
    I WIN. GAME OVER. CHECK MATE. I CONTROL YOUR EVERY MOVE. WATCH WHAT HAPPENS NEXT

Page 2 of 2 12