Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: How long after a sub expires does Sirius shut off the radio?

  1. #1
    buzzojoe is offline
    Junior Member
    buzzojoe's Avatar
    Joined: Sep 2012 Posts: 2

    How long after a sub expires does Sirius shut off the radio?

    I'm looking to buy a Sirius or XM radio with a lifetime sub. There are always a bunch of them on Ebay, but the sellers always say they have no "proof" of the lifetime. Most of them claim that they have had the radio for "years" and that it has always worked. There is one guy who sells several "lifetime" sirius radios every month. I'm wondering if a person could just pick up used radios for $20.00 here and there, put a month by month subscription on them, and then sell them on Ebay for $400.00 (or whatever people will pay)? Then after a month or so the radio would go dead, and since Ebay and Paypal have very limited amounts of time to file a claim against a seller the buyer would just be screwed.
    I've always been told that if you try to contact Sirius about a radio having a lifetime sub and you give them the radio ID number but don't have the associated account info they will shut it off. Maybe someone can verify that for me? But I also wondered if anyone knows how long of a "grace" period Sirius gives people when their sub expires before they shut it off? I do already have a lifetime sub on a boombox radio so I know about the transfer rules and such. But again, most if not all of the Ebay sellers don't have the account info to transfer it...
    Bottom line is that I'd like to buy a lifetime sub radio, but don't want to pay $400.00 for a $20.00 radio that will go "dead" in a month, and am hoping that some of you might know some of this stuff and have some good advice!
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions or info!!

  2. #2
    SiriusBuzz is offline
    Head Honcho
    SiriusBuzz's Avatar
    Joined: May 2007 Posts: 2,458
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzojoe View Post
    I'm wondering if a person could just pick up used radios for $20.00 here and there, put a month by month subscription on them, and then sell them on Ebay for $400.00 (or whatever people will pay)? Then after a month or so the radio would go dead, and since Ebay and Paypal have very limited amounts of time to file a claim against a seller the buyer would just be screwed.
    Ebay does have seller ratings. Make sure the seller has a number of confirmed sales and positive feedback.

    That said, you have to ask yourself, how does one seller come accross multiple lifetime subscriptions?


    Quote Originally Posted by buzzojoe View Post
    But I also wondered if anyone knows how long of a "grace" period Sirius gives people when their sub expires before they shut it off?
    There is no grace period BUT a radio will remain active until it receives the deactivate signal from the satellites. These signals are sent out at varying times on varying days and if your radio happens to be off when the signal is sent it will remain on until it is hit with the deactivate signal. Because of this, you could theoretically keep a radio active forever, if you never turned it on.


    Quote Originally Posted by buzzojoe View Post
    Bottom line is that I'd like to buy a lifetime sub radio, but don't want to pay $400.00 for a $20.00 radio that will go "dead" in a month, and am hoping that some of you might know some of this stuff and have some good advice!
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions or info!!
    Personally, I would stick with buying lifetimes from friends and family only. There is just no way to verify.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •