Page 7 of 7 ... 567
    02-28-2013, 11:35 PM #61
    Quote Originally Posted by Redcloud View Post
    And if your only transmitting one way how does the satellites know when you change the channel?
    It's a tuner. It operates the same way your AM/FM radio does. Sirius has a pipe and they carve out channels within the pipe. The radio tunes the frequency for the channel you want to play.

Addict
    02-28-2013, 11:54 PM #62
    Quote Originally Posted by switchflare View Post
    It's a tuner. It operates the same way your AM/FM radio does. Sirius has a pipe and they carve out channels within the pipe. The radio tunes the frequency for the channel you want to play.
    I also have a diploma in electronics tho I'm no guru. It's not a tuner, but similar. More like a tuner with a dedicated frequency for the sats to receive data from the head units. A regular tuner doesn't allow you to make a like list, or know what you've been listening to. Yes a tuner uses frequency to broadcast it's signal, as does anything that uses bandwidth/frequency, but it's not using 1's and 0's to broadcast that data, hence digital, not analog radio. That's all for tonight. Gla tomorrow.
    Last edited by Redcloud; 03-01-2013 at 12:10 AM.

02-28-2013, 11:56 PM #63
    That's the ultimate question... can Sirius XM provide internet via it's "network." If the answer is no, then they have 2 options. First, they build their own network OR they partner with AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, etc. Then it's ALL ABOUT THE APPS

If Sirius XM can provide internet service via it's network, then it's all about the apps. They won't need the wireless carriers.

I don't know how Sirius XM's satellite works but if it's one way, then they have a problem to solve.

Remember when Amazon first came out with the Kindle? They initially partnered with Sprint and then AT&T to provide internet access so customers could purchase books. The interesting part about it is Amazon "subsidized" the data connection at no cost to the consumer. Amazon basically paid AT&T and Sprint for the data connection.

What would happen if Apple or Google did this? They provide the "hardware" (i.e. like the iPad) and Software (apps) and subsidize the internet data connection for their customers. This would make them viable competitors BUT it would also allow Sirius XM to focus on the Sirius XM app while using the subsidize data connection from Apple or Google or anyone else doing it.

Just a thought...

Quote Originally Posted by SiriusBuzz View Post
    I don't think it is possible. I think their specific satellites only transmit data one way. I could be wrong but, I am pretty sure I have seen this discussed before.
    Last edited by midas360; 03-01-2013 at 12:03 AM.
    I WIN. GAME OVER. CHECK MATE. I CONTROL YOUR EVERY MOVE. WATCH WHAT HAPPENS NEXT

Mentor
    03-01-2013, 12:09 AM #64
    If I remember correctly, all sats in orbit are 1 way...........but the current grounded new sat that has been pushed back several times for X?? reasons (MaloneCo).......is a 2 way sat.........are will deploy within a few months.

03-01-2013, 12:15 AM #65
    There you go Denco... if they are launching a 2 way satellite, then Sirius XM will not only be able to provide internet access but also the applications. All of this for a reasonable monthly fee. At least a lot cheaper than paying AT&T for the data connection and Sirius XM for the content service.

p.s. I am heading to bed. I will catch you guys on the flip. Great discussion tonight! Take care...

Quote Originally Posted by denco1 View Post
    If I remember correctly, all sats in orbit are 1 way...........but the current grounded new sat that has been pushed back several times for X?? reasons (MaloneCo).......is a 2 way sat.........are will deploy within a few months.
    I WIN. GAME OVER. CHECK MATE. I CONTROL YOUR EVERY MOVE. WATCH WHAT HAPPENS NEXT

Head Honcho
    03-01-2013, 02:20 AM #66
    Quote Originally Posted by midas360 View Post
    That's the ultimate question... can Sirius XM provide internet via it's "network." If the answer is no
    It is no.

Quote Originally Posted by midas360 View Post
    There you go Denco... if they are launching a 2 way satellite, then Sirius XM will not only be able to provide internet access but also the applications. All of this for a reasonable monthly fee. At least a lot cheaper than paying AT&T for the data connection and Sirius XM for the content service.
    I am guessing the new satellite will use all of its available bandwidth to broadcast.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Addict
    03-01-2013, 07:16 AM #67
    To be continued.....

03-01-2013, 09:10 AM #68
    Did I enter the wrong forum? I was interested in stock talk.

Page 7 of 7 ... 567