02-22-2013, 09:52 PM #1

FM Broadcast Mode

Hi folks, first post.

I've been a subscriber for about 10 years now. Over that time period I've owned two "Roady 2" radios because I need the portability of the Roady. I move it between three cars and an RV as we travel (or work truck during the week). In three of these four vehicles I can only use the XM in FM broadcast mode because the radios in them don't have an audio aux connection. Additionally, I can use the broadcast mode to broadcast to other FM radios I have around the house (eg, on the back porch while we're entertaining 'round the B-B-Q).

In the past, the Roadys would put out enough signal to carry 50 to 100 feet. Problem is that when the last Roady finally died a few weeks ago, I had to replace it with the Onyx. The Onyx only wants to transmit about 5 feet. The signal quality is so poor that in one of my vehicles it barely works. Customer service/tech support at XM HQ in the Philippines hasn't been much help. Not to whine to much, especially in my first post, but they don't seem to understand what "FM Broadcast Mode" actually is.

Does anybody know the specs on the Onyx? Or where to find them? The one tech support person I got thru that seemed to understand what I needed says that the radio specs are not posted for them to see. For the record, she did say that the Roady was designed to transmit 15 meters.

Any ideas?

Jim

Head Honcho
    02-22-2013, 10:37 PM #2
    Welcome to the forums

Quote Originally Posted by GaJim View Post
    In three of these four vehicles I can only use the XM in FM broadcast mode because the radios in them don't have an audio aux connection.
    There is another option if you're interested and that is a direct FM connection. They make an adapter that taps into the FM antenna line and the quality is excellent. No static, no worrying about looking for dead air as you drive across the country.

In the past, the Roadys would put out enough signal to carry 50 to 100 feet. Problem is that when the last Roady finally died a few weeks ago, I had to replace it with the Onyx. The Onyx only wants to transmit about 5 feet. The signal quality is so poor that in one of my vehicles it barely works.
    The older Sirius and XM receivers had much stronger signals... in fact, they were deemed too strong and the government made them dial back the strength on newer models. The problem was the signals were so strong that you could drive next to someone in traffic and interfere with and take over their radio.

Any ideas?
    1. I would setup a direct FM connection. Other people have complained about the Onyx in the reviews on Amazon and claim that the SiriusXM FMDA25 Direct Adapter was their solution. If you know a little bit about cars and can get at your FM antenna input on your radio, it is very easy to setup. I did it myself on an older vehicle and it wasnt hard at all.

2. Find and older stronger unit used on eBay.

Hope this helps!
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

02-22-2013, 11:45 PM #3
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusBuzz View Post
    The older Sirius and XM receivers had much stronger signals... in fact, they were deemed too strong and the government made them dial back the strength on newer models. The problem was the signals were so strong that you could drive next to someone in traffic and interfere with and take over their radio.

Hope this helps!

Bummer. The Gub'ment got involved and now it doesn't work right. Without a good, strong FM signal, the radio is virtually useless in the way I use it. I'll look around, but this may be the end of XM my experience. I've really enjoyed it. It's been a good ride.

Do you have any experience with the various "boom boxes"? That may be an option for listening out doors. We like to listen when camping and when sitting outside at home.

Jim

Head Honcho
    02-23-2013, 04:59 PM #4
    I dont have any experience with boom boxes. I listen on my iPad or others iPhones when I'm outside, camping, or at the beach.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder