02-18-2013, 12:06 PM #1

XM Onyx Mount Issue

Hello all. I have a question about the XM Onyx mount. I had recently had my radio installed near the beginning of December. About a month or so later(I suspect due to the cold weather) the double sided tape started to wear off and the weight of the receiver made the mount fall off the dash. I bought double sided tape from Ace Hardware and that worked for about 3 weeks before again, the combo of the shifting weather and the weight of the receiver brought the mount off the dash.

Aside from using Duct Tape which would make the whole thing look ridiculous, and drilling into my dashboard which I don't really want to do is there an alternative to securing the mount to my dashboard without having to worry about it coming off?

Head Honcho
    02-18-2013, 04:23 PM #2
    Have you considered options other than your dashboard? They make cup holder, inDash, and windshield suction mounts. Maybe the solution isn't more tape but instead, another location altogether?

What make and model are you driving?
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

02-19-2013, 08:23 PM #3
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusBuzz View Post
    Have you considered options other than your dashboard? They make cup holder, inDash, and windshield suction mounts. Maybe the solution isn't more tape but instead, another location altogether?

What make and model are you driving?
    2003 Nissan Altima. inDash is out of the question cuz I would have to purchase a whole new head unit which I don't have the money for. I was thinking more along the lines of an A/C vent mount. Windshield Suction....wouldnt that mean I have to rewire my receiver? I mean the only thing is is that the dash seemed like the most ideal place. However if they do make an a/c mount I would gladly try it out...

Head Honcho
    02-19-2013, 08:56 PM #4
    When I say inDash I am referring to a hard custom mount, check it out; http://www.tss-radio.com/installatio...le-mounts.html

Perfect dashboard solution. If the finder doesn't show results for your model, give them a call. They likely know of something that works.

I put one of these in the my wife's old Acura and it was great.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

02-20-2013, 10:42 AM #5
    When I say inDash I am referring to a hard custom mount, check it out; http://www.tss-radio.com/installatio...le-mounts.html

Perfect dashboard solution. If the finder doesn't show results for your model, give them a call. They likely know of something that works.

I put one of these in the my wife's old Acura and it was great.

Oh wow ok. I can dig this, lol. Thanks for the tip! I guess I'll use the tape solution until I order it. One question I do have, and only asking just incase I don't get to calling them today...

I'm not sure if you are by any chance familiar with the '03 Altima dashes but 112_0304_fam_z+2003_nissan_altima_25s+front_interior_view.jpg

My XM was wired to be mounted just above the left center A/C vent. Now with the way these mounts look I am guessing I cannot stick this mount in the space between the Center Dash and Driver Side dash, I would have to mount it next to my radio unit?

Head Honcho
    02-20-2013, 12:42 PM #6
    Quote Originally Posted by VmPas View Post
    Oh wow ok. I can dig this, lol. Thanks for the tip!
    No problem. I thought you'd like that.

Quote Originally Posted by VmPas View Post
    Now with the way these mounts look I am guessing I cannot stick this mount in the space between the Center Dash and Driver Side dash, I would have to mount it next to my radio unit?
    Can you remove the center dash to gain access to that break between the two? If you could, you might be able to find a place to drill and mount.... if you're comfortable with a little custom work.

If the lines are already run to your vent, what about a vent mount? I don't know if they make one specifically for satellite radio but you could always find one with a nice chunk of plastic that you can customize and mount your dock to.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

02-21-2013, 12:28 PM #7
    No problem. I thought you'd like that.

Can you remove the center dash to gain access to that break between the two? If you could, you might be able to find a place to drill and mount.... if you're comfortable with a little custom work.

If the lines are already run to your vent, what about a vent mount? I don't know if they make one specifically for satellite radio but you could always find one with a nice chunk of plastic that you can customize and mount your dock to.
    I got in touch with the company that makes the mounts and they were able to send me instructions on how to install it. Not going to be hard at all. Thanks for the help , much appreciated.

Head Honcho
    02-21-2013, 02:09 PM #8
    No problem. Good luck with the install.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder