Page 3 of 4 1234
    Mentor
    02-23-2013, 12:26 PM #21
    Quote Originally Posted by siriusly_invested View Post
    OT. Anybody notice that DDD did a 3 for 2 split after hours last night? I went back and saw the announcement earlier in the month saying it is effective with shares of record on 2/15 and will begin trading at the new price on 2/25. I got my extra shares registered in my account during the night. I have a question though: what if you were not a share holder on 2/15 and you bought shares yesterday at the market price ($56 plus or minus)? Do you lose value because your share count didn't increase, and each share as of next Monday, 2/25 is now worth 30% less? Am I reading that right? So if you initially entered DDD after 2/15 you are a loser? If that is true, then that sucks. Surely I'm wrong. Someone please tell me.
    I had the same question/thought SLY. I spoke to Etrade yesterday and was told that you would get shares based on your position as of close Friday the 22nd. Which in my case as of this morning is true. I held more shares as of close on the 15Th than I did as of yesterday. I received the shares based off of my share count as of yesterdays close not last Friday the 15th close. You should have gotten 1.5 shares for every share you held as of close yesterday. I did not get any shares for the shares I sold from the 15th through yesterday.

EDIT: It makes sense. If that were not the case then you could load up HUGE on Friday the 15th, sell on Monday the 18th at the higher SP and get half your position back for free on Monday the
    25th at a lower gravy share price....which of course would be an easy way to scam BIG cash.

EDIT2: Anyone who sold shares from the 15th to the 22nd would basically owe those split shares to the buyer of those shares. Therefore those split shares did not show up in my account that were sold after the 15th and thus not held by me as of yesterdays close.
    Last edited by denco1; 02-23-2013 at 12:34 PM.

Mentor
    02-23-2013, 12:33 PM #22
    Monday will be an interesting day for DDD with the trading ex split as well as Q4 results before the open.

Addict
    02-23-2013, 12:55 PM #23
    Denco, thanks for the DDD split clarification. Yes, I too received split shares for those I purchased only two days ago, to go along with what I owned on 2/15. My new curiosity is that my account balance now shows my new DDD shares at yesterday's closing price............ that will reset to Monday's price, yes?

Also, in researching 3-D stocks, I picked up on a new player in the game called Xone which had an IPO Feb 7. I might try to keep close tabs on that one too.

I agree that Monday might be interesting for DDD................ Note in their press release early in the month that they say the split is intended to draw more investor interest and create versitility................... i wonder if they intended to say "volatility"?

Addict
    02-23-2013, 01:16 PM #24
    Try this one spoons, I'm on mobile not near my computer, too much to text. I'll elaborate later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCZNPRiLe9g
    Last edited by Redcloud; 02-23-2013 at 01:20 PM.

Mentor
    02-23-2013, 01:18 PM #25
    The gain sure looks real nice today with the new shares at the closing price. Unfortunately, the sp will be quite a bit lower come Monday. Hopefully they report #s that beat and cause a litle squeeze to keep it from tanking too much. Now the question for me is how do we read the chart and trend lines with the stock Div.

Addict
    02-23-2013, 01:40 PM #26
    Interesting question, re. how t read the charts and trends with the split price. Maybe there is a chart setting which normalizes the history data to the new price correction. I've never had occasion to research that one, but I guess Monday will be a good time to check it out.

Addict
    02-23-2013, 01:48 PM #27
    Here's our answer from Stockcharts.com. I'm guessing the other online charting tools do the same.

http://support.stockcharts.com/entri...nt+after+split

What it says is that they adjust all history data to conform to a split.

Addict
    02-23-2013, 02:03 PM #28
    A help page search at Freestockcharts.com gives an option to select "if you want to see the price unadjusted for stock split". which leads me to believe that the split price automatically adjusts their history data. The only other charting tool for me is at TDA's Think or Swim.............I'm guessing they too adjust history data to conform with a split.

Mentor
    02-23-2013, 02:28 PM #29
    Quote Originally Posted by siriusly_invested View Post
    Here's our answer from Stockcharts.com. I'm guessing the other online charting tools do the same.

http://support.stockcharts.com/entri...nt+after+split

What it says is that they adjust all history data to conform to a split.
    Thanks for the link SLY...that should take the guessing out of the equation.

Mentor
    02-23-2013, 03:58 PM #30

Page 3 of 4 1234