Page 1 of 4 123 ...
    02-15-2013, 07:45 PM #1

Stiletto 2 Internet Radio Problem

I have had my Stiletto 2 for years, and have had it configured to access one of my home networks (WPA security). Today when I went to use the Internet radio (nothing has changed on my routers) it is now asking for a username - and will not connect to my network. I have reset my routers and still doesn't work. I check the software versions and the ZAP version is correct per the latest Sirius website info, but the baseband number is not. I have connected the Stiletto to my PC to try and update, but it says no software updates available. I have not had a working antennae for a couple of weeks, so I have hooked the radio up to a new antennae to see if there is some kind of update that needs to be done through the satellite. Waiting to see - but wanted to see if others have experienced this issue.

Thanks.

Head Honcho
    02-15-2013, 08:07 PM #2
    Have you tried forcing the SL2 to rediscover your network?

The best way to force the SL2 to start the Wi-Fi discovery process over again, is to turn off Wi-Fi by briefly putting the SL2 into Satellite Radio. Then go back to Internet Radio mode and start the connection process over.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

02-15-2013, 11:43 PM #3
    Thanks for your response. I did setup an antennae and then deleted all networks so it would re-discover. I also added a new guest network on one of my routers, and tried it with no security and WPA security - all options ended up with the Stiletto asking for a username. In referencing the Wifi troubleshooting guide from Sirius, it sounds like it should only ask for this at Wifi hotspots like AT&T, but not for home networks. I am leaving the radio hooked to satellite for a while to see if there is some software update that needs to finish. Very strange!

02-16-2013, 02:25 PM #4
    I've been on the phone with customer support all morning. There is a problem on their end. I suspect they introduced a bug because they forgot to code for the Stiletto.

Details:
    After going through the hell that is 1st tier support (knew nothing about the Stiletto and told me if I was using the internet I need to subscribe to the internet radio service) I finally got through to 2nd tier. They were helpful and we tried all kinds of stuff for about 30 minutes. She even gave me a temporary internet password and it did not work. Finally she suggested updating the software, so I tried a complete wipe (turning on with both bottom buttons pressed) and ran the recovery disk (I've done this dozens of times because after recording a lot of stuff it's memory disk gets errors). Now the recovery program doesn't work. It authenticates and says it's downloading the latest firmware from Sirius, then it times out and says I'm not connected to the internet. They have really screwed things up. The issue got escalated to engineering but was told it could take 7-10 business days to resolve!!! So no firmware updates are currently available.

The other thing I noticed was that earlier in the week, the display changed and no longer said "internet" on the bottom of the screen, but now said "Internet Radio." I suspect one of 2 things
    1) They really screwed up the programming and made a breaking change for the Stiletto
    2) They are going to force us to pay for Internet Service and a stealth price and 1) above still applies
    Last edited by jcesare; 02-16-2013 at 02:29 PM.

02-16-2013, 02:33 PM #5
    Thanks much for the information - please post an update if you have any luck with getting the Wifi working again on the Stiletto. I tried everything I could think of, so figured it was a change on their end. Is the recovery disk you mention the disk that originally came with the Stiletto? I'm sure I have it someone - just need to hunt it down.

02-16-2013, 02:42 PM #6
    Yes, but it doesn't work on Windows 7 (contrary to what sirius claims) I keep an old XP laptop around just to load the firware. If you can't find the CD, I copied the installation program to disk and can send it to you.

Be wary because the wipe bricks the unit until the firmware gets loaded. You can't even turn it off. Like I said above, I've done this dozens of times (I have two Stiletto 2s) and this is the first time it failed to connect to Sirius's web site. If you get file or memory errors, it the only real way to fix the unit. I suspect there is a memory leak and the disk system is being corrupted. This has happend on two different units so I'm sure there is a firmware bug that they don't want to spend resources fixing. I'm in IT and I've been there, done that. As long as there is a workaround, I don't mind it that much, but not being able to download the firmware is a no go. If not fixed, I'm cancelling my 4 subscriptions.
    Last edited by jcesare; 02-16-2013 at 02:52 PM.

Head Honcho
    02-16-2013, 04:36 PM #7
    This happened a few months ago after an update as well. It took about a week of crazy back and forth before SiriusXM fixed the problem. Someone started a thread just like this and before too long there were tons of people involved.

http://siriusbuzz.com/forum/showthre...t-active/page2

http://siriusbuzz.com/forum/showthre...e-July-11-2012
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

02-19-2013, 05:54 PM #8
    FYI Firmware download site is back up and the log in screen for internet connection is now gone

NOTE: this was not an activation issue that is listed in the thread linked above. They somehow added a never before seen login screen to get internet access. I suspect the latest patch forgot about the Stiletto and they were validating access like it was a smart phone app.
    Last edited by jcesare; 02-19-2013 at 06:01 PM.

02-19-2013, 06:26 PM #9
    I just tried my WiFi connection successfully. There was then some SIRIUS updating, and I had to go through some activation screens, but now everything appears to be working. Thanks for getting back that yours was working. At least this made me get up on my roof and fix the cable to my SIRIUS antennae!

07-12-2013, 02:10 PM #10

internet radio connection problem

I have a stiletto 100 and had been using the internet radio fine until today and now everytime I try to use it I just get "CHANNEL UNAVAILABLE No Internet Connection".i have 2 stiletto 100's and both are doing the same thing.I haven't changed anything with my routers and tried a nonsecure connection and still nothing.it connects everytime and also shows all the channels like was shown before it quit working.Any ideas on how or what I can do to fix this seems this was an issue a coupkle months ago for the other posters in this thread.Thank

Page 1 of 4 123 ...