01-21-2013, 07:58 PM #1

Sirius on a Harley

I have Sirius XM running through my garmin GPS on a Harley Ultra Classic.
    Reception is spotty - even on a clear cloudless day in wide open spaces here in Virginia.

I travel west quite often and it works best when I am heading west.
    When I turn and head east - it is terrible - to the point of being unusable.

The antennae is a fairing mount - standard Harley set up.

Any ideas - is there some kid of signal booster I could add ?

Head Honcho
    01-21-2013, 11:12 PM #2
    Welcome to the forums.

Where exactly is the antenna? On the front inner fairing? I have a Road King and my buddy has a Street Glide but, I'm not totally familiar with an ultra so, I'm not exactly sure of the placement of a fairing antenna on an Ultra. That said, if it doesn't have a clear view of the sky, at all times, because its hidden or tucked away, that would explain it.

I would think the rear tour pack or one of the longer radio antennas in the back would have been the best place for something like that.

They do make better/strong antennas for SiriusXM radios but, since your are running through your Garmin GPS, I have no idea what the best solution would be. Is it a GPS specific antenna? Does the GPS even need the antenna to work or is it just there for the satellite radio?
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

01-22-2013, 08:42 AM #3
    The antennae is under the front fairing. All Harley equipment. Yes an antennae is needed.

Head Honcho
    01-22-2013, 04:47 PM #4
    The location explains it all. Is there any way to move the OEM antenna? Satellite radio needs a clear unobstructed view of the sky.

What does the antenna plug look like that goes into the Garmin? Is it a universal type connector? I wonder if you can simply get a better antenna and run a line back to your tour pak?
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

01-23-2013, 07:22 PM #5
    I don't know what the plug looks like - it's under the fairing. Who are the experts on these things that can tell me who to contact ? and the parts that are needed ? I don't think it's my Harley Dealer.

Head Honcho
    01-23-2013, 07:40 PM #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
    I don't know what the plug looks like - it's under the fairing.
    Its the winter, perfect time to poke around!

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
    Who are the experts on these things that can tell me who to contact ? and the parts that are needed ? I don't think it's my Harley Dealer.
    Since it's their product, I'd talk to Garmin. Maybe if you knew the model number of the Garmin GPS, you could easily look up all the information about antennas? Is there anything in your manual? I'm sure the bike came with a product manual for the GPS.

That said, there is no reason why you couldn't talk to one of the guys at your local Harley parts department. You can't be the first person to deal with this issue (or maybe you are and you have a defective unit). Maybe they have a solution for better reception. Maybe they know exactly what antenna you need.

I frequent an HD forum and there is no mention of your issue on there.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder