07-28-2008, 03:37 PM #1

Why is Sirius playlist so short?

I have been a sirius subscriber since '06 and generally pretty happy with the service. But I have noticed that the playlists are very short, in that regardless of which station you listen to, they seem to play the same songs over and over.

One would think with all of the selections available over the course of the last 40-50 years, they could spread things out a bit.

Any thoughts?

07-28-2008, 04:35 PM #2
    I agree, I own the actual radio along with thousands of stocks, I think the artists are fantastic, but when I play ABBA always the same songs, even my 15 yr daughter, whatever music she listens to, she just quoted the same.
    There is room for improvement in that regard, but that is minimun, maybe get a better DJ..joke, on the other hand for me that I live in a small town BC Canada the reception is great, and our local radio here is ok, but only ONE LOCAL RADIO.
    Those are my thoughts
    Take care
    Marcela

Marcela

07-28-2008, 06:04 PM #3
    Well, soon you will be able to pick from XM channels, I guess, which are said to be deeper.

But, try changing the channel. There are some channels on Sirius that have much deeper playlists. (What did you expect from the ABBA channel by the way?) Underground Garage has become one of my favorite channels recently- and it is very, very deep.

07-28-2008, 10:36 PM #4
    What channels are you listening to that you hear a short playlist? I listen to Sirius all day and all I ever hear is more and more new music that I would not have heard elsewhere. I have actually purchased entire albums on itunes of bands who's names I had never heard before.

Dude if you are listening to the Springsteen channel... that is why you keep hearing Bruce.

07-29-2008, 08:23 AM #5
    I listen to many of the stations as I listen all day at work. But primarily it's The Bridge, Classic Vinyl, Classic Rewind, Jazz Cafe, and others. I can almost set my clock to what song will be up next.

-Brad

07-29-2008, 07:38 PM #6
    You are listening to CLASSIC stations! When was the last time you heard a new song from 40 years ago? Of course they are going to play the same songs there is nothing new.

Guru
    08-18-2008, 12:27 PM #7
    I emailed Sirius stating similar issues. Their reply in short was "Thank you for your input, we will forward to the programming department. Our business relies on the input of the customers, please continue to provide us feedback"

They also said to contact that station directly via the web site, apparantly each channel has an email or some way to contact them.

Speak up! Sounds like they want the feedback...

Enthusiast
    08-18-2008, 12:45 PM #8

Diamonds In Them Thar Hills

You are listening to CLASSIC stations! When was the last time you heard a new song from 40 years ago? Of course they are going to play the same songs there is nothing new.

This argument does not hold water. There are thousands of record albums and many thousands of songs. Programming directors walk a thin line. Play too many obscure tunes and alienate some listeners - get complaints. Play too many "safe" hit songs and bore some listeners - get complaints. The argument that the material doesn't exist is not true. One man's trash is another man's treasure. There's a lot of crap, but there's a lot of diamonds in those old records too.

08-19-2008, 09:59 PM #9
    The only channel I have a problem with right now is the Big 80's. During the weekend it seems all they place is replays of the Martha Quinn specials she does.